Solving Simple Angle Problem: -63.65° to Positive

• Thread starter Osbourne_Cox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the speaker is struggling to remember how to make a negative angle positive in their final angle calculation for a problem from high school. They ask for clarification and provide the y and x component values for their problem. Another person suggests drawing and solving a right triangle to find the correct angle using other trig functions. The speaker acknowledges that there may be a better approach, but this was their first solution.
Osbourne_Cox
1. Hi. This is just a detail that I am hung up on, and can't remember from high school. For my final angle calculation, theta=tan^-1(fy/fx), I get a negative angle, -63.65. I know my numbers are correct as part a of my problem was correct, I just can't remember how to make this angle positive so it makes sense. My angle is going in the north of west direction, which I also know is correct. Can someone explain to me how to make it postive?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

What are the y and x component values?

y component=50133.87
x component=-24833.87

I believe the angle is 116.35. Draw and solve the right triangle using your coordinates. Then, you can use the other trig functions to get the correct angle.

I am sure there is a more sensible approach to my solution, but this was the first that came to my mind.

Ok, thank you

What is the process for solving a simple angle problem?

The process for solving a simple angle problem involves identifying the given angle, determining the quadrant in which it lies, and using trigonometric ratios to find the reference angle. Then, depending on whether the angle is positive or negative, the angle is either added or subtracted from 360 degrees to find the equivalent positive angle.

What is the reference angle and how is it used in solving an angle problem?

The reference angle is the acute angle formed between the terminal side of the angle and the x-axis in standard position. It is used in solving an angle problem by helping to determine the equivalent positive angle in the same quadrant.

How do you convert a negative angle to a positive angle?

To convert a negative angle to a positive angle, you can add 360 degrees to the given angle. This is because each full rotation of the angle is equivalent to 360 degrees, so adding 360 degrees will result in an equivalent positive angle.

What is the difference between a negative angle and a positive angle?

A negative angle is measured clockwise from the positive x-axis, while a positive angle is measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. This difference in direction can result in different values for the angle, but they can be converted to equivalent angles in the same quadrant.

Can an angle be greater than 360 degrees?

Yes, an angle can be greater than 360 degrees. This is because angles are measured in a continuous manner, so multiple rotations around a point can result in an angle greater than 360 degrees. However, for simplicity, angles are often kept within the range of 0 to 360 degrees.