1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Angle Problem

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    1. Hi. This is just a detail that I am hung up on, and can't remember from high school. For my final angle calculation, theta=tan^-1(fy/fx), I get a negative angle, -63.65. I know my numbers are correct as part a of my problem was correct, I just can't remember how to make this angle positive so it makes sense. My angle is going in the north of west direction, which I also know is correct. Can someone explain to me how to make it postive?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2
  4. Oct 16, 2009 #3
    What are the y and x component values?

5. Oct 16, 2009 #4
    y component=50133.87
    x component=-24833.87

6. Oct 16, 2009 #5
    I believe the angle is 116.35. Draw and solve the right triangle using your coordinates. Then, you can use the other trig functions to get the correct angle.

I am sure there is a more sensible approach to my solution, but this was the first that came to my mind.

7. Oct 16, 2009 #6
    Ok, thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook