Simple Ansys question

• Thread starter markcini
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have one small question. I'm trying to demonstrate material non linearity due to temperature.
In other words, I want to show that for the same force, the stresses in the material may be different due to the temperature of the object. Now, I figured the commands for the material properties part, but what I can't figure out is how I set my model to have a specific temperature. I tried using the da command (eg: da,1,TEMP,50) but it showed no effects whatsoever.

Do you have any tips for me?
Thank you for your time, much appreciated.

Answers and Replies

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Isn't the fact that temperature-dependent material properties tables exist proof enough? ANSYS can only show what has been put into it in the first place, so solving a temperature dependent model into it doesn't "prove" anything...

thats true :) maybe i used the wrong word there... i want to demonstrate how it works, is that more clear?

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Unfortunately this assignment we had to use the APDL script. For the material properties, the script was relatively simple:

MPTEMP,1,0,700
MP,EX,1,12E6,-8E3
TB,BKIN,1,2
TBTEMP,0.0
TBDATA,1,44E3,1.5E6
TBTEMP,700
TBDATA,1,29.33E3,2E6
/XRANGE,0,0.02
TBPLOT,BKIN,1

now, for a simple model i'm trying to demonstrate that for the same force and different temperatures the strain vary. What I'm not able to do is assign the model a given temperature.