1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Basic Chemistry Problem

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a table of percentages. One column stands for the percent of Nitrogen in a substance, the other a percent of Oxygen. Given the table (4 rows with different values), figure out the ratio of atoms of Oxygen for a given amount of Nitrogen.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to even go about doing it. I tried plugging in the weights of the elements, i tried ignoring them. I tried this problem a few different ways but honestly, i haven no idea how to even approach it, i cant seem to figure it out.

It's from the first chapter of our chemistry book, i've tried reading the book, but they dont mention nor show a sample of how to do a problem like this. Nor did the professor do a sample problem in class. I have no idea how to approach this problem, i know it's a simple solution but i havent taken chemistry in about 3 years, so i'm completely lost here.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Water contains 11.19% of hydrogen and 88.81% of oxygen. Let's assume we have 100 g of water - we have 11.19 g of hydrogen and 88.81 g of oxygen then. That means we have 11.19/1.01=11.08 moles of hydrogen and 88.81/16.00=5.55 moles of oxygen. There is exactly 11.08/5.55=2.00 moles of hydrogen per mole of oxygen, so water must have formula H2O.

Can you do the same to your nitrogen question?

In general you don't have to assume 100 g of substance, but it quite often simplifies thinking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?