Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Big O analysis question

1. Feb 3, 2014 #1
    I decided to watch an MIT OpenCourseWare class on algorithms and the second lecture has me checking my understanding. A link to the lecture is here (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...ation-recurrences-substitution-master-method/)

My question is pretty basic (I think). Right in the beginning of the lecture (2:50 on the video) the prof. writes on the blackboard,

2 n^2 = O(n^3)

as an example. I was thinking that should be O(n^2) but then I thought the example statement is true (i.e. 2 n^2 grows slower than n^3 ... and n^4 and n^5 .... ) but the statement with the most information is 2 n^2 = O(n^2). Do you think it was a mistake on the blackboard or he did it to show that the O(n^3) is also true?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2014 #2
    I was under the impression that you could ignore constant factors, and lesser terms when deducing the Big O of a function. So 2n^2 => O(n^2).

Or 5n^3 + 8000000000n^2 + 4612876198274194109438109284n + 8 => O(n^3). When you reach large values of n, the n^3 term eclipses the other terms.

4. Feb 4, 2014 #3
    I agree:
    2 n^2 => O(n^2)

5. Feb 4, 2014 #4
    If I recall correctly, big O notation refers to an upper bound. So strictly speaking, an algorithm that is O(n^2) is also O(n^3), because the latter will be larger than the former. However, it is best to hold a fair amount of precision in your upper bound: simply stating that an algorithm is O(infinity) is technically always true, and also never useful (unless your algorithm will literally never finish).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  6. Feb 4, 2014 #5
    There are several uses - but in all cases it is related to an asymptote approached towards infinity. So 2N^2 => O(n^3) would be inaccurate.

7. Feb 4, 2014 #6
    Inaccurate, but not incorrect, at least according to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation#Formal_definition

(If you use n^2 as f(x) and n^3 as g(x), the formal definition is easily satisfied)

This is just semantics, but my guess is that the prof was trying to illustrate this point.

8. Feb 4, 2014 #7
    At least in computer science, if you called a merge sort O(n^2), you would be both inaccurate and incorrect - because it is O(n log n).

9. Feb 4, 2014 #8
    Well, I know of at least one computer science textbook that agrees with me, and it's where I learned this definition. The book is http://sist.sysu.edu.cn/~isslxm/DSA/textbook/Skiena.-.TheAlgorithmDesignManual.pdf [Broken], and on it's 36th page Skiena writes:

"The Big Oh notation provides for a rough notion of equality when comparing
    functions. It is somewhat jarring to see an expression like n^2 = O(n^3), but its
    meaning can always be resolved by going back to the definitions in terms of upper
    and lower bounds. It is perhaps most instructive to read the “=” here as meaning
    one of the functions that are. Clearly, n^2 is one of functions that are O(n^3)."

Maybe the greater computer science community disagrees with him on the definition of Big Oh notation.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. Feb 4, 2014 #9

SixNein

Gold Member

As already pointed out, there is a formal definition of big O and then there is a typical usage of it in computer science. From the formal standpoint, 2n^2=o(n^3) is just fine since it satisfies the formal definition. In other words, O(n^3) is an upper limit for 2n^2; however, it is not the best upper limit we can obtain here.

So I think he was just saying be careful. There is a difference between having an upper limit and the best upper limit.

11. Feb 5, 2014 #10
    thanks everyone. thinking of the "=" sign not as a true equality but as indicating membership in a set makes it clearer for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook