Simple Binary Subtraction: Learn How to Calculate with Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter nesta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binary
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with binary subtraction and the process of complement subtraction in decimal. The person asking for help is having trouble getting the correct answer and someone offers a simpler method to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the person asking if anyone is interested in seeing how complement subtraction works in decimal.
nesta
Hi Friends,

I'm scratching my head for not able to figure out this problem of binary (fraction) subraction.

0.1101 - 0.00000011 = 0.11001101

Can someone please help me with steps how do i get the answer as sshown above .

I tried as shown below and I am getting a different answer. Am i doing something terribly wrong.

---------------
0.10000011 ----> this answer is wrong

Thanks,
Nesta

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this class homework?

KM

NO it is not.. if its a class homework how will know its answer..

It's quite simple, and is done in exactly the same way as with decimal numbers. You have:

1) Rightmost column: 1>0, so you must borrow "10" from the next column, and then 10-1=1
2) Next Column: This column had "0" in it, so you borrow "10" from the next, but you have already borrowed "1" from this column, so that leaves 1 in the numerator, and 1 - 1 = 0
3) Next column, same as previous, and you get 1 - 0 = 1
4) and so fourth

Actually the easier way is to complement the subtrahend and add it to the minuend. In this you have:

(1)000.11001100

Then, you add the "1" that overflows at the left back in the rightmost column, and get:

KM

B.T.W. Would anyone like to see how complement subtraction works in the decimal system?

*tentatively raises hand*

I'm scared of subtraction! ::Hides::

Nobody expressed interest, but here's how to do complement subtraction in decimal. First, we use the following to get the 'inversion' of each digit (subtrahend only):

0 -> 9
1 -> 8
2 -> 7
3 -> 6
4 -> 5
5 -> 4
6 -> 3
7 -> 2
8 -> 1
9 -> 0
Now, for each digit in the 'subtrahend', substitute its inversion from the list above (remember. leading zeros all go to nine). Then add "1" to the inverted subtrahend value, to get the complement. Then simply add. Any "1" that carries out beyond the end is dropped (or it can be described as being used in an "end-around-carry" in place of the one that was previously added). Try it!

KM

What is simple binary subtraction?

Simple binary subtraction is a mathematical operation that involves subtracting two binary numbers from each other. It follows the same rules as traditional subtraction, but with only two possible digits (0 and 1).

How is simple binary subtraction performed?

To perform simple binary subtraction, you first need to convert the binary numbers into their decimal equivalents. Then, subtract the second number from the first, just like you would with traditional subtraction. Finally, convert the result back into binary form.

What are some tips for performing simple binary subtraction?

Some tips for performing simple binary subtraction include making sure that the numbers being subtracted are in the correct order (larger number first), and carrying over any necessary numbers to the next place value if the result is negative.

What is the difference between simple and complex binary subtraction?

The main difference between simple and complex binary subtraction is the number of digits involved. Simple binary subtraction only involves two digits (0 and 1), while complex binary subtraction can involve any number of digits (0-9).

Why is simple binary subtraction important?

Simple binary subtraction is important because it is the basis for more complex binary operations, which are used in computer programming and other areas of science and technology. It also helps to develop logical thinking and problem-solving skills.