What is the Correct Equation for Finding the Centroid of a Circle?

• Thread starter 6Stang7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation is about trying to determine the centroid of a shape with a curved line that resembles a circle. The equation for a circle does not work for this shape, but the equation y=r-\sqrt{2rx-x^{2}} is used instead. The formula for finding the centroid is mentioned and the person is trying to verify the equations they are using are correct. They have solved for the centroid using a different method but are interested in understanding why their current method is not working. The final answer for the centroid location is given as \bar{x} = \bar{y}= \frac{r(10-3\pi)}{12-3\pi}.
6Stang7
I'm trying to determine the centroid of the shape below:
MRbfl.jpg

The curve line is that of a circle, but the equation of for a circle, (x-a)2+(y-b)2=r2, won't work here for obvious reasons, but the equation y=r-[tex]\sqrt{2rx-x^{2}}[/tex] does.

To determine the location of the centroid, the formula is:

uvwMP.jpg

EtVOC.jpg

To ensure that the equations that I am using are correct, I am going to compare the area calculated by integrating the line with respect to it's corresponding axis against this equation:
Wddr8.jpg

Let's assume that we have a circle with a radius r=1. The area is therefore:

BtCtj.jpg

Now, I solved the integral two ways: one with Mathcad, and the other with The Integrator.

When I solve it with Mathcad, I get:

112B8.jpg

which is wrong because the area calculated is negative. When I solve it with The Integrator, I get:

p5yPi.jpg

which is also wrong because if this equation where evaluated, you would obtain a number with imaginary components.

I type this equation into my TI-84 and had it calculate the area under the curve and it got an answer that agreed with the known value, so the equation for the curve is correct.

It's been awhile since I've used calculus like this, but this problem should be very straight forward; however, that is not turning out to be the case.

Where have I gone wrong?

EDIT: I'd like to point out that I've already solved for the location of the centroid using a different method. I posted this because I'm more interested in finding out why this method isn't working for me.

Attachments

• MRbfl.jpg
    MRbfl.jpg
    509 bytes · Views: 321
  • p5yPi.jpg
    p5yPi.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 877
  • 112B8.jpg
    112B8.jpg
    509 bytes · Views: 375
  • BtCtj.jpg
    BtCtj.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 353
  • Wddr8.jpg
    Wddr8.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 347
  • EtVOC.jpg
    EtVOC.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 341
  • uvwMP.jpg
    uvwMP.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
6Stang7 said:
I'm trying to determine the centroid of the shape below:
MRbfl.jpg

The curve line is that of a circle, but the equation of for a circle, (x-a)2+(y-b)2=r2, won't work here for obvious reasons, but the equation y=r-[tex]\sqrt{2rx-x^{2}}[/tex] does.

To determine the location of the centroid, the formula is:

uvwMP.jpg

EtVOC.jpg

These equations look correct to me. I get

[tex]\bar{x} = \bar{y}= \frac{r(10-3\pi)}{12-3\pi}[/tex]

LCKurtz said:
These equations look correct to me. I get

[tex]\bar{x} = \bar{y}= \frac{r(10-3\pi)}{12-3\pi}[/tex]

That is exactly the answer. Can you please go into some detail about how you obtained it? Can you also explain why I am not getting the correct answer when I try integrating for the area under the curve?

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change, such as motion and growth. It is divided into two main branches: differential calculus and integral calculus.

2. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. In calculus, it is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point and to solve optimization problems.

3. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of infinitesimal quantities. In calculus, it is used to find the area under a curve and to solve problems involving accumulation, such as finding total distance traveled.

4. What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a particular value. In calculus, limits are used to define derivatives and integrals, and to determine the convergence or divergence of infinite series.

5. How is calculus used in real life?

Calculus is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze real-world phenomena such as motion, growth, and optimization. It is also used in fields like medicine and finance to make predictions and solve problems.