Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple calculus proof

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1
    I was supposed to have learnt this in my first year but i seem to have forgotten it because i havent kept in touch with it :mad:

Definition:A sequence of complex numbers [itex] \left{z_{n}\right}_{1}^{\infty} [/itex] is said to have the limit Z0 or to converge to Zo and we write [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} z_{n} = z_{0} [/tex] if for any epsilon>0 there exists an integer N such taht |Zn-Zo|< epsilon for all n>N
    Using the given definition prove that the sequence of complex number
    Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo iff Xn converges to Xo and Yn converges to Yo.
    [Hint: |Xn - Xo|<=|Zn - Zo|
    |Yn - Yo|<=|Zn-Zo|
    |Zn - Zo|<=|Xn - Xo|+|Yn - Yo|

so we suppose the first part that
    Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo then Xn converges to Xo and Yn converges to Yo.

well suppose it was triue then
    [tex] |Z_{n} - Z_{0}| = |X_{n} - X_{0} + iY_{n} - iY_{0}| \leq |X_{n} - X_{0}| + i|Y_{n} - Y_{0}| < \delta_{1} + \delta_{2} < \epsilon [/tex]

not sure how to choose the pepsilon... do i make it the min of delta1 and delta 2 or the max?

for the other way around i get that easily
    your help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

You should not have an "i" in your inequality

4. Mar 14, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

The iff will mandate a two-fold proof: the "if" part, and the "only if" part.

Proof:

The "if" part: If Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo, then Xn converges to Xo and Yn converges to Yo.

Since Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo, we have

[tex]\mbox{For every } \epsilon >0,\mbox{ there exists a }N\in\mathbb{N}\mbox{ such that }n>N\Rightarrow |z_n-z_0|<\epsilon[/tex]

5. Mar 14, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You do not "choose" epsilon. You have to show how to choose delta for any given epsilon.

6. Mar 14, 2006 #5
    i am not really sure on how to use your advice...
    si does that mean the delta need to be replaces by epsilon1 and 2? Thereafter wechoose a delta that is the max of either?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook