1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple calculus proof

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1
    I was supposed to have learnt this in my first year but i seem to have forgotten it because i havent kept in touch with it :mad:

Definition:A sequence of complex numbers [itex] \left{z_{n}\right}_{1}^{\infty} [/itex] is said to have the limit Z0 or to converge to Zo and we write [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} z_{n} = z_{0} [/tex] if for any epsilon>0 there exists an integer N such taht |Zn-Zo|< epsilon for all n>N
    Using the given definition prove that the sequence of complex number
    Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo iff Xn converges to Xo and Yn converges to Yo.
    [Hint: |Xn - Xo|<=|Zn - Zo|
    |Yn - Yo|<=|Zn-Zo|
    |Zn - Zo|<=|Xn - Xo|+|Yn - Yo|

so we suppose the first part that
    Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo then Xn converges to Xo and Yn converges to Yo.

well suppose it was triue then
    [tex] |Z_{n} - Z_{0}| = |X_{n} - X_{0} + iY_{n} - iY_{0}| \leq |X_{n} - X_{0}| + i|Y_{n} - Y_{0}| < \delta_{1} + \delta_{2} < \epsilon [/tex]

not sure how to choose the pepsilon... do i make it the min of delta1 and delta 2 or the max?

for the other way around i get that easily
    your help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

You should not have an "i" in your inequality

4. Mar 14, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

The iff will mandate a two-fold proof: the "if" part, and the "only if" part.

Proof:

The "if" part: If Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo, then Xn converges to Xo and Yn converges to Yo.

Since Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo, we have

[tex]\mbox{For every } \epsilon >0,\mbox{ there exists a }N\in\mathbb{N}\mbox{ such that }n>N\Rightarrow |z_n-z_0|<\epsilon[/tex]

5. Mar 14, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You do not "choose" epsilon. You have to show how to choose delta for any given epsilon.

6. Mar 14, 2006 #5
    i am not really sure on how to use your advice...
    si does that mean the delta need to be replaces by epsilon1 and 2? Thereafter wechoose a delta that is the max of either?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?