Capacitance Combination for 9V Potential Difference

• Thread starter gabloammar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the electronic engineer is trying to figure out a way to get a specific capacitance and potential difference without exceeding the voltage rating of the capacitors. He has found that by using four capacitors of the same voltage rating, he can achieve the desired result.
gabloammar

Homework Statement

An electronic engineer is designing a circuit in which a capacitor of capacitance of 4700 microFarads is to connected across a potential difference of 9.0V. He has four 4700 microFarads, 6V capacitors available. Draw a diagram to show how the four capacitors could be used for this purpose.

2. The attempt at a solution

I've got the answer (see the attachment), and I get it that the capacitance equals 4700 this way, but how does the voltage equal 9V like this? I don't get it. Can someone help? :(

Attachments

• Capacitor.jpg
    Capacitor.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm, by 6V capacitors I assume you mean voltage rating, the max voltage across the capacitor without it going pop.

Let's say my assumption is right, how much voltage are there across each individual capacitor in your setup? Will the capacitor blow up?

Your assumption IS right. Each capacitor has a voltage rating of 6 volts. And I'm not supposed to think about capacitors blowing up so I'm positive that no the capacitors are not going to blow up.

actually, the purpose of voltage ratings is to prevent the capacitor from breaking down.

What the question is asking is: if that dude just stick a single capacitor in there, he will get the 4.7uF capacitance he wanted, but he will be exceeding the cap's voltage rating.
With 4 of the same capacitors, how can he use them to obtain the same capacitance without exceeding the voltage rating?

in other words, you are not supposed to make a system with overall voltage rating of 9V, otherwise a slight fluctuation in your voltage source will let you see fireworks.

(Basically you have worked out the right answer but I'm just telling you why this is right. :biggrin: )

Yes but see, this is 12th grade physics I'm doing, and I don't need to consider all that.

What I HAVE to do is: Use those four capacitors to get that specific p.d. and capacitance.

I get the capacitance.. but I don't understand how the voltage is supposed to be 9V. I mean, how do I calculate 9V or how do I read 9V from that circuit I attached to the question?

The voltage is 9v because you are supplying 9V to the circuit.

The important thing is your capacitors arranged this way can take over 9V without dying, because if you measure the voltage across each individual capacitor, they will have less voltage than their rating (<6V).

If you want to know the voltage across each individual capacitor, treat them like resistors

What have you learned about the relation among voltage, charge and capacitance? About series and parallel connected capacitors?

ehild

gabloammar said:
Yes but see, this is 12th grade physics I'm doing, and I don't need to consider all that.
Maybe you do.
What I HAVE to do is: Use those four capacitors to get that specific p.d. and capacitance.
No you don't. You are misunderstanding the requirements.
I get the capacitance..
Good.
but I don't understand how the voltage is supposed to be 9V.
It isn't. You just have to make sure no individual capacitor will be subjected to more than 6v in your arrangement. Under 6v -- good; over 6v -- bad. :wink:

Well wukunlin says I've done the question right, and I think I got it! :D

So thanks a lot for the help!

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in units of farads (F) and is represented by the symbol C.

2. How is capacitance calculated?

Capacitance can be calculated by dividing the amount of electric charge stored by the potential difference between the plates of a capacitor. It can also be calculated by multiplying the permittivity of the material between the plates by the surface area of the plates and dividing by the distance between them.

3. What factors affect capacitance?

The factors that affect capacitance include the surface area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of material between the plates. The dielectric constant of the material also plays a role in determining capacitance.

4. How does capacitance change with frequency?

At higher frequencies, the capacitance of a system will decrease due to the effects of parasitic capacitance and inductance. This means that the system will have a smaller ability to store an electric charge.

5. What is the role of capacitance in electronic circuits?

Capacitors are used in electronic circuits for a variety of purposes, including filtering, decoupling, and energy storage. They can also be used in timing circuits, oscillators, and power supplies.