Understanding Basic Capacitor Concepts: Exploring a Simple Circuit

In summary, the switch conserves charge by reducing the voltage to 3.75 volts after the switch is closed.
skybox
Hi Guys,

I have the following circuit I want to analyze:
29v0war.jpg

I do not understand by the DC voltage on both capacitors is 3.75V each. The initial charge on capacitor C1 is 5V. I am just trying to understand a basic switched capacitor concept and am stuck here. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello,

Are your measurements at t=0s or some other time? I would suggest adding a switch to your schematic.

Yes, you must be measuring at some intermediate time.
The fact that there is dissipation (a resistor) but no source in the circuit means that the voltage will eventually go to zero regardless of the initial state.

I am measuring the voltage at t = 60s. I am just wondering how it is 3.75V. I am modeling this circuit after a switch has closed.

skybox said:
I am measuring the voltage at t = 60s. I am just wondering how it is 3.75V. I am modeling this circuit after a switch has closed.

You initially had 5V on the left 3uF cap, and after the switch is closed (presumably the 1 Ohm resistor), you have 3.75V on both the 3uF and 1uF caps. Seems pretty straightforward. Do a time plot from 0s to 60s of the voltages on the caps, and you'll see the chage distribution change from initial to final.

Before the switch is closed, there is 15 microcoulombs on the capacitor C1 (3 uF), which is charged to 5 V. After the switch is closed, you have 15 microcoulombs on 4 uF (C1 + C2 in parallel), so the voltage should be reduced to 3.75 volts. So charge is conserved. Initially the total stored energy in the circuit is (1/2)CV^2 = 37.5 microjoules, and after the switch is closed, the stored energy is only 28.1 microjoules, so some energy was lost in resistance R1 when the switch was closed.

What is a simple capacitor?

A simple capacitor is an electrical device that is used to store energy in the form of an electric charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

How does a simple capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, electrons from one plate are attracted to the other plate, creating an electric field between them. This causes one plate to have a positive charge and the other to have a negative charge, storing energy in the form of an electric field.

What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a simple capacitor?

The formula for capacitance is C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in Farads (F), Q is the charge in Coulombs (C), and V is the voltage in Volts (V).

What is the purpose of a simple capacitor in an electronic circuit?

Capacitors are used in electronic circuits for a variety of purposes, including filtering out unwanted signals, smoothing out voltage fluctuations, and storing energy for later use.

What factors affect the capacitance of a simple capacitor?

The capacitance of a simple capacitor is affected by the size and shape of the plates, the distance between them, and the type of dielectric material used. It is also influenced by the voltage and frequency of the applied signal.