Solving Simple Capacitors Homework: Q, V, E

• Thread starter HZXAHNLfzjSr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, a voltmeter with a resistance of 150 kilo Ohms is connected to a 50 micro F capacitor and reads 20V at t=0. The charge on the capacitor can be found using the formula Q=cv. The voltmeter reading after 10s can be found using the formula V=(Vo)e^(-t/RC). To find the time at which 95% of the energy stored has been dissipated, rearrange the equation E(t)=1/2CV^2(t) to solve for t, and set it equal to 5% of the initial energy, E0=1/2CV0^2. The voltage equation is V=(Vo)e^(-t/
HZXAHNLfzjSr

Homework Statement

A voltmeter of resistance 150kilo Ohms is connected across a 50 micro F capacitor. If at time t= 0 the voltmeter reading is 20V. Find

a) charge on capacitor at time t=o
b) voltmeter reading after 10s
c) the time which must elapse after t = o before 95% of the energy stored has been dissipated

Homework Equations

Q=cv
E=1/2 cv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I used Q = cv
b) I used V = (Vo)(e) - (t/RC) formula but not getting the correct answer
c) I tried a bunch of things but didn't even get close to the answer.

So can someone show me how to solve (b) and (c).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Also can someone tell me if it's

V = (Vo)(e) - (t/RC)

OR

V = (Vo)(e) ^ - (t/RC)

In the latter case, kindly explain how I'd solve this to get V.

Thanks!

HZXAHNLfzjSr said:
Also can someone tell me if it's

V = (Vo)(e) - (t/RC)

OR

V = (Vo)(e) ^ - (t/RC)

In the latter case, kindly explain how I'd solve this to get V.

Thanks!

It's the second equation

[tex]V=V_{0}e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}.[/tex]

(It's easy to see that first one is wrong - it's dimensionally incorrect!)

If you know what is [itex]V_{0}[/itex], you know everything you need to solve the problem completely.

N-Gin said:
If you know what is [itex]V_{0}[/itex], you know everything you need to solve the problem completely.

You said that V0 is 20 volts and also be careful with the dimensions (kilo and micro etc).

part c) requires you to rearrange to get it in terms of t. Also you have to work out V (hint: voltage is 'energy per unit charge')

Well I am still unsure as to how to do part (c) :(

Can someone show me the steps?

Thanks!

For the c) part, just use the formula

[tex]E(t)=\frac{1}{2}CV^{2}(t).[/tex]

It must be equal to 5% percent of the initial energy

[tex]E_{0}=\frac{1}{2}CV_{0}^{2}.[/tex]

Thanks I figured it out and just confirmed it with your posts ;)

1. What is the formula for calculating capacitance (C) using charge (Q) and voltage (V)?

The formula for calculating capacitance is C = Q/V, where Q is the charge in coulombs and V is the voltage in volts.

2. How do I calculate the electric field (E) between two parallel plates of a capacitor?

To calculate the electric field between two parallel plates of a capacitor, use the formula E = V/d, where V is the voltage between the plates and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What is the unit for capacitance?

The unit for capacitance is the Farad (F), named after the scientist Michael Faraday. It is equal to one coulomb per volt.

4. Can I use the capacitance formula for capacitors with non-parallel plates?

No, the capacitance formula C = Q/V is only valid for capacitors with parallel plates. For capacitors with non-parallel plates, the calculation is more complex and involves the geometry of the plates.

5. How can I increase the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be increased by increasing the surface area of the plates, decreasing the distance between the plates, or using a material with a higher dielectric constant between the plates. These factors all contribute to a higher capacitance value.