1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple charge question

1. Jun 22, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, I've been having the hardest time getting the hang of coulobs law. I got a physics book, physics for complete morons. The question is simple enough:

Consider a line of charges, q1 = 8.0 micro C at the orginin, q2 = -12 micro C at 2.0 cm, and q3 = 10 micro C at 4.0cm. What is the force on q3 due to the ohter two charges?

So you find F31 and u find the F32 and then add up the two forces to find your answer. But to find F31 they used a distance of .04m which confuses me. If the charges are as follows:

.02m .04m

Why wouldn't the distance from q1 to q3 be .06m? :bugeye:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2005 #2
    Yeah it is 0.06m, maybe you are misunderstanding what they are trying to do. What did they use for F32?
  4. Jun 22, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I suspect that those are the positions of the charges (their coordinates along the axis), not the distances between them. Calling it the x-axis, the charges are at:
    x1 = 0m
    x2 = 0.02m
    x3 = 0.04m

Make sense?

And welcome to PF, by the way!
  5. Jun 23, 2005 #4
    ahhh, how simple. Thanks Doc you were right!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?