1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Chem Prob

1. May 18, 2005 #1
    It has to do with sig fig. Froom what i know, when performing log in an equation, only the numbers are the decimal point are counted as sig figs. So if i have 0.1 M of acid, to find the ph, it would be : -log(0.1) = 1; since sig figs have to be AFTER the decimal point, is the correct answer 1.0?

Also, if NaOH were added to an acetic acid solution, will the concentration of the hydrogen ion increase or decrease? and WHy?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depends on the requirements of the problem.If the problem's asking for 2 sig digs,then "1.0" should do it.

What's your thought or your guess for the second part and on what grounds...?

Daniel.

4. May 18, 2005 #3
    Well the problem didnt specifically asked for a certain amount of sig fig, the number of sig fig in answer depends on the problem itself, we have to use the least amount of sig fig that is found in the problem.

As for the other one, i first had down the concentration will decrease because the hydrogen and hydroxide ion will neutralize each other and form water, but i wasnt sure if that was right.

5. May 18, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The pH definitely drops.Since the pH is the conc.of protons,it means you're right.

Daniel.

6. May 18, 2005 #5
    Thanks, back to the sig fig problems, shouldn't 1.0 be considered 1 sig fig? since in a log answer, only the numbers after the decimal point is counted as a sig fig.

7. May 18, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope,two sig digs.And the presence of logarithms in base 10 is of no relevance.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?