Nitric Acid: Understanding its Oxidizing Properties on Dilution

In summary: Nitrogen in nitrate has an oxidation number of +5. That's 8 more electrons than it would have had if it wasn't in nitrate. That causes it to behave as an oxidizing agent.
ritwik06
Why does oxidizing nature of nitric acid gets reduced on dilution?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the acid is diluted, the volume over which H+ ions disperse get a larger volume, hence per unit volume, the oxidizing nature decreases

H+ ions are responsible for reducing nature, so why oxidizing nature decreases?

ritwik06 said:
Why does oxidizing nature of nitric acid gets reduced on dilution?

What do you mean by 'oxidizing nature'? Rate of oxidation?

Do you mean why is a subastance being oxidized the reducing agent?

chemisttree said:
What do you mean by 'oxidizing nature'? Rate of oxidation?

Stevedye56 said:
Do you mean why is a subastance being oxidized the reducing agent?

I am sorry! I got it. Thanks a lot to all of you!

ritwik06 said:
I am sorry! I got it. Thanks a lot to all of you!

I was muddled. Nitric acid dissociates to give H+ ions. right? but additon of H+ to something ould lead to reduction. But nitric acid is actually an oxidizing agent. how come?

What is the oxidation # for nitrogen in the nitrate ion? Is it unusual?

chemisttree said:
What is the oxidation # for nitrogen in the nitrate ion? Is it unusual?

I don't know. I can't make out what you are talking about.

Oxygen usually has an oxidation number (I'll call it a 'charge') of -2. There are three of them (oxygens in nitrate) and there is one negative charge left over. What is the charge on nitrogen required to balance all but one of these negative charges?

Nitrogen usually has an oxidation number of -3...

ritwik06 said:
H+ ions are responsible for reducing nature, so why oxidizing nature decreases?
no, H+ itself gets reduced while the other substance loses e- and gets oxidized
. As [itex]$ HNO_3 $[/itex] is diluted, it loses oxidizing tendency and behaves more as an acid.

chemisttree said:
Oxygen usually has an oxidation number (I'll call it a 'charge') of -2. There are three of them (oxygens in nitrate) and there is one negative charge left over. What is the charge on nitrogen required to balance all but one of these negative charges?

Nitrogen usually has an oxidation number of -3...

The charge of Nitrogen should be +5. Yes, nitride ion has charge -3. So what do I deduce from this?

The oxidative property of nitric acid comes from the nitrate ion. The proton doesn't counteract this at all. I don't know of any reactions where H+ is a reducing agent or where it could lead to reduction.

chemisttree said:
The oxidative property of nitric acid comes from the nitrate ion. The proton doesn't counteract this at all. I don't know of any reactions where H+ is a reducing agent or where it could lead to reduction.

I think you are true, the oxidation property comes from the nitrate ion. And moreover we arent talking about H+ ions' "reducing" property.

But sir, please do tell me that when nitrogen in nitrate has oxidation # +5, then how does it effect the oxidizing nature?

ritwik06 said:
...But sir, please do tell me that when nitrogen in nitrate has oxidation # +5, then how does it effect the oxidizing nature?

Any atom at a high oxidation state can behave as an oxidant. Normally nitrogen has a -3 oxidation state. In nitrate it is +5. Thats EIGHT ELECTRONS higher than it normally occurs. Any atom that is capable of lowering its oxidation state by eight electrons is DEFINITELY an oxidant. In gunpowder, KNO3 is the oxidant. The nitrogen-containing product is N2. That is a 5 electron change which is still a pretty stout oxidation.

Dilution doesn't change that. It slows it down.

What is nitric acid and what is it used for?

Nitric acid (HNO3) is a strong mineral acid commonly used in the field of chemistry. It is a colorless liquid with a pungent odor and is highly corrosive. Nitric acid is commonly used in the production of fertilizers, explosives, and dyes. It is also used in various laboratory experiments and industrial processes.

What are the properties of nitric acid?

Nitric acid is a strong acid with a pH level of less than 2. It is highly corrosive and can cause severe burns on contact with the skin. It is also a strong oxidizing agent, meaning it can easily react with other substances and release oxygen. Nitric acid is soluble in water and forms a clear, colorless solution. It has a boiling point of 83°C and a density of 1.5 g/mL.

How is nitric acid produced?

Nitric acid is typically produced through the oxidation of ammonia. In this process, ammonia gas is mixed with air and passed through a catalyst at high temperatures. This results in the formation of nitrogen dioxide, which is then dissolved in water to produce nitric acid. The production of nitric acid can also be achieved through the reaction of sulfuric acid with sodium nitrate.

What are the hazards of working with nitric acid?

Due to its corrosive nature, nitric acid can cause severe burns on contact with the skin and eyes. It can also irritate the respiratory system if inhaled. In addition, nitric acid is a strong oxidizing agent and can react violently with other substances, potentially causing explosions. Proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area, should always be taken when handling nitric acid.

How is nitric acid commonly used in laboratory experiments?

In laboratory experiments, nitric acid is often used as a strong acid to neutralize basic solutions and as an oxidizing agent to break down organic compounds. It is also used in titration experiments to determine the concentration of a substance. Additionally, nitric acid is commonly used to etch metals and as a reagent in the synthesis of various compounds.