Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple circles

1. Jul 25, 2006 #1
    I have a point a 3D space (say 0,0,0), a radius of the circle(say 2m), and know a single point that lies on the circle at a certain x co-ordinate, and have the corresponding y coordinate for the point on the circle. How can I calculate the Z co-ordinate for this point given the above parameters?

I am trying to generate a 3D pipe and have the centre of the pipe at (0,0,0), and know the the x distance along the pipe and the height of the pipe at any given point, but not its depth (which i need to calculate), if this helps explain.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Assuming that the point you named in 3D space (0,0,0) is the center of the circle of radius 2m, and that you know that [tex]( x_0 ,y_0,z)[/tex] is a point on the circle and z (the Z coordinate) is unknown: then to determine z know the the distance between the center of the circle (0,0,0) and any point on it, say [tex]( x_0 ,y_0,z)[/tex] , is equal to the radius 2m, hence

which gives

for the Z coordinate.
  4. Jul 25, 2006 #3
    cheers, solved it 5 mins after posting, using a similar method, think long nights with early mornings make me a little slow!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?