1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Circuit Problem

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

circuit.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Find i.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been able to reduce the circuit and calculate the total current to be 6A, and the total resistance to be 2Ohms. I'm not sure however how to use that information to find i. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The simplest way would be to use the KCL technique. Are you familiar with that?

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3
    ok yah i'll try that

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4
    still no luck, get like 4 equations but can't do anything with them.

6. Sep 17, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

LOL. Post your KCL equations. They are always solvable. You aren't trying...

7. Sep 17, 2009 #6
    1) My recommendation is treat the resistor i going through as output and find thevenian at that point.
    or
    2) Use the formula that "converts voltage source with resistor in series" to "current source with resistor in parallel". Simple procedure you repeat like 3 times until you reach the i resistor, but this is just same thing as finding thevenian.

8. Sep 19, 2009 #7
    A fast way to do this problem in one's head, the 12 volts divides across a 1 ohm resistor and combination equivalent to 1 ohm, so the 12 volts has to divide into 6 volts and 6 volts. That 6 volts divides across another 1 ohm resistor and a combination equivalent to 1 ohm ..... Etc. The person who designed this problem chose the resistor values such that this pattern would repeat several times.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook