Simple Circuit

• Engineering
  • Thread starter seto6
  • Start date
hi i have this circuit to solve and i want to find the voltage at the open terminal.

i have few question regarding this, is there a current through the 2k resistor (i think there is none since there won't be any current through the open)

at the point of open voltage there use to be a load there i am trying to get a thevinin equivalent for it.

i tried nodal analysis but got stuck by the 2k ohm resistor i don't know how to get around that.

can you help me and tell me the way to solve this circuit and answer few of my question thank you so much.

20sx53m.jpg

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
hi i have this circuit to solve and i want to find the voltage at the open terminal.

i have few question regarding this, is there a current through the 2k resistor (i think there is none since there won't be any current through the open)

at the point of open voltage there use to be a load there i am trying to get a thevinin equivalent for it.

i tried nodal analysis but got stuck by the 2k ohm resistor i don't know how to get around that.

can you help me and tell me the way to solve this circuit and answer few of my question thank you so much.

20sx53m.jpg
You're right. There won't be any current through the 2K-ohm resistor, so the voltage drop across it will be zero. You're just left with a single loop then, which is simple to analyze.

so its valid for me to replace this circuit with:

thevinin voltage of : 4 volts

thevinin resistance of = 6k ohm

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Yes.

why do you need thevinin anything? it's just a single loop. find the voltage across the 12k resistor and you have your answer