Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Circuit

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    hi i have this circuit to solve and i want to find the voltage at the open terminal.

i have few question regarding this, is there a current through the 2k resistor (i think there is none since there won't be any current through the open)

at the point of open voltage there use to be a load there i am trying to get a thevinin equivalent for it.

i tried nodal analysis but got stuck by the 2k ohm resistor i don't know how to get around that.

can you help me and tell me the way to solve this circuit and answer few of my question thank you so much.

20sx53m.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're right. There won't be any current through the 2K-ohm resistor, so the voltage drop across it will be zero. You're just left with a single loop then, which is simple to analyze.

4. Apr 25, 2010 #3
    so its valid for me to replace this circuit with:

thevinin voltage of : 4 volts

thevinin resistance of = 6k ohm

5. Apr 25, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes.

6. Apr 25, 2010 #5
    why do you need thevinin anything? it's just a single loop. find the voltage across the 12k resistor and you have your answer

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook