Create a Simple Circuit with This Easy-to-Follow Diagram

• Thread starter DunceKirchhoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, Colin redrew the circuit incorrectly, which caused the voltage around the circuit to not add up to zero. He recommends using loops instead of individual resistors and using the "sum to zero" around the loops.
DunceKirchhoff
http://i43.tinypic.com/2qkikd3.jpg

How do I tackle the above question? I've got a few formulas in my head that don't help. I am not asking for answer or the working just a quick kick in the right direction.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are any resistances in series or parallel?

Redraw the circuit, do current loops, show your work. Then we can help.

Break up the circuit into manageable bits. Think about which rules or laws you should be using.

Am I right so far

Looks like a good start to me so far

Well what I can abstract from that is-

4i1+10+3(i1+i2)
= 17i1+3i2

6i2+2+3(i1+i2)
=11i2+3i1

17i1+3i2=20
3i1+11i2=20

It doesn't figure, must have added up something wrong :P

I don't really get how you got those equations, but they are both wrong and not even consistent with each other.

How much should the voltage around a loop add up to?

Well with kvl it should add up to 0?

DunceKirchhoff said:
Well with kvl it should add up to 0?

So why is there not a zero on one side of your equations?

309ly4j.jpg

I was using this as an example. I know there is an extra battery in it, but I have solved circuits in the past using this working with one battery.

What do you make of it?

I think the first mistake was done in the process of redrawing of the circuit.

Original circuit:
2qkikd3.jpg

Redrawn circuit:
(From this link) http://i44.tinypic.com/2hf7tc1.jpg
(Image size too large to imbed here directly.)

Can you see the mistake? :wink:

[Examine which resisters are on which sides of the circuit.]

Hi Colin

I placed the resistors on opposite sides, although giving me a more sensible answer,it was as they say on Catchphrase 'Its good but not right!

***Bangs head off wall****

When doing loops, it is best to do independent loops to the extent possible. I see now what you did but I never use that method, as I find it cumbersome. That is, I think the way you have chosen your loops is awkward. BUT ... in any case, the sum around the loop should be zero. I ask again: why is there no zero in your equations?

It has no zero in it because the method out the book does not show it. Yes I understand the sum of the voltage around the circuit adds up to zero, but look at the given example there is no use of this. I'm learning on my own so I use whatever method that's in front of me. I been learning physics for like 2 weeks :p

DunceKirchhoff said:
It has no zero in it because the method out the book does not show it. Yes I understand the sum of the voltage around the circuit adds up to zero, but look at the given example there is no use of this. I'm learning on my own so I use whatever method that's in front of me. I been learning physics for like 2 weeks :p

Sorry, I seem to have implied that I didn't already understand what you just said, but again, I suggest that you drop that method and stick to simple loops that are as independent as possible and DO use the "sum to zero" around the loops,.

Drawing current/voltage loops is a simple approach, but I would probably look for a more intuitive approach in this problem, which takes less than 5 minutes to get an exact answer. I prefer to simplify the resistor network wherever possible (and it's easy to do here). The circuit can be redrawn as the 20V cell in series with two resistances, one 3ohm, the other (10+6)||(2+4)ohm = 16||6ohm. The "||" notation refers to resistors in parallel. The first question is easy to answer after this. The other two questions can then be worked out by figuring out the current in each arm of the circuit (remember that the current is inversely proportional to the resistance in that arm as a proportion of the total effective resistance). Then just use V = IR to work out the p.d. across the resistor they asked for.

BTW, there are some rounding errors in the provided answers.

Thanks curious, that certainty is a simpler approach

What materials do I need to create a simple circuit?

To create a simple circuit, you will need a power source (such as a battery), wires, a switch, and a light bulb or other load. You may also need a breadboard or circuit board to help connect the components.

Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to create a simple circuit?

No prior knowledge or experience is necessary, but it may be helpful to have a basic understanding of electrical components and how they work together in a circuit.

What is the purpose of creating a simple circuit with this diagram?

The purpose of creating a simple circuit is to demonstrate the basic principles of electricity and how different components work together to complete a circuit and power a load. It can also serve as a hands-on learning experience for beginners in electronics.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when creating a simple circuit?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the power source is disconnected before handling any wires or components. It is also important to use the correct voltage for the components being used and to avoid overloading the circuit.

Can I make modifications to the circuit in the diagram?

Yes, you can make modifications to the circuit in the diagram by adding or removing components, as long as you understand the basic principles of circuitry and follow safety precautions. This can be a fun way to experiment and learn more about electronics.