Solving Unknown Circuit Setups with a 9v Battery

In summary, it would be prudent to have an oscilloscope and/or voltmeter to measure the time delay in charging and discharging the capacitors, in order to make sure they are discharged properly.
j713m546
I am trying to create a flowchart that will help solve a series of unknown simple circuit setups hidden within a box. It is powered by a 9v battery. There are 12 different probes that connect to 1 common ground and I want to have a method to discover what is contained. Options include 3 different resistors, a short(negligible resistance), a diode, 2 capacitors, an open circuit. 2 DC voltage sources and 2 ac voltage source. Using basic VOM meter and an oscilloscope how could identify each one?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome.
That could be an interest one to solve (for you I mean!) It looks like a good exercise to help students in their first steps in problem solving and fault finding.
The order of tests would not be absolutely critical but there will be optimal routes through the process. You could do without the Scope for all of those measurements - as long as you were to use appropriate values for the Capacitors.
I guess you ought to start with Health and Safety (of the test meter at least) in mind - i.e. check whether the component is a source or sink of power (with the V setting) and use the AC/DC switch to determine which it is . So V or No V would be your first decision followed by the choice of AC and DC with the values found (on one branch).
Then for the other branch, with the Meter on Ω, there would be a choice based on a delay in the meter reaching its final value (i.e. Capacitors present pr not?). The chains of decisions after that decision outcome could be in any order - selecting the measured value.
To resolve the values of Capacitors, you would obviously choose capacitance values to make a significant difference in settling time.
Just one comment on the 'flow chart' approach. I would encourage them to throw away the paper work after they have done the exercise, lest they rely on it, rather than learning how to approach such problems in principle.

sophiecentaur said:
Hi and welcome.
That could be an interest one to solve (for you I mean!) It looks like a good exercise to help students in their first steps in problem solving and fault finding.
The order of tests would not be absolutely critical but there will be optimal routes through the process. You could do without the Scope for all of those measurements - as long as you were to use appropriate values for the Capacitors.
I guess you ought to start with Health and Safety (of the test meter at least) in mind - i.e. check whether the component is a source or sink of power (with the V setting) and use the AC/DC switch to determine which it is . So V or No V would be your first decision followed by the choice of AC and DC with the values found (on one branch).
Then for the other branch, with the Meter on Ω, there would be a choice based on a delay in the meter reaching its final value (i.e. Capacitors present pr not?). The chains of decisions after that decision outcome could be in any order - selecting the measured value.
To resolve the values of Capacitors, you would obviously choose capacitance values to make a significant difference in settling time.
Just one comment on the 'flow chart' approach. I would encourage them to throw away the paper work after they have done the exercise, lest they rely on it, rather than learning how to approach such problems in principle.

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes this is for students to help them learn the provided equipment and understanding of simple circuits. My only questions that I am not certain on are would the ac/dc volts readings all be equal since they are all powered by a single 9 v battery and assuming wired similarly??

Also, the capacitors are very small and the internal resistance of the VOM are large so damage is not likely but definitely an issue to be discussed. However, my concern in trying to notice the time delay in the charging or discharging of the capacitors is to make sure they start uncharged so we notice a time delay in charging them or vice versa. Is simply the current established through a voltmeter going to discharge them properly according to their capacitance w respect to time?
Thank you so much for your help

Won't you need an oscillator inside one of the boxes, if you want AC (?) Then the meter will be able to discriminate between AC and DC as the 'wrong' switch position will show (nearly )zero.
If you want to be sure of starting with your capacitors discharged, it may be a good idea to provide a reset button, which students are told to press before each measurement. This could discharge the Capacitors via a 1k (say) resistor. When the Ω meter is connected to a discharged capacitor, it will start at near zero and then increase to infinite (O/L). The bigger the Capacitor the longer this will take. I imagine your "small" Capacitors are in the order of a fraction of 1uF. pF capacitors would not be suitable for such crude measurements as the leads and internal wiring could account for a few tens of pF. A good rule of thumb is that the time constant of 1mΩ and 1uF is 1 second. You could roughly deduce the resistance of your Ω meter by seeing how long a known Capacitor takes to 'nearly' charge - that would correspond to two or three time constant intervals..
You should make them aware that connecting an Ω meter to a Voltage source can damage it (they may use Mains Volts one day!) so they should always measure Volts first, to check it is a passive device. (Part of the Flow chart - along with pressing the reset switch)

Note- the meter should be switched off the Auto Range position if that is available.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the components involved and their properties. I would start by researching the characteristics of resistors, diodes, capacitors, and voltage sources, both DC and AC.

Next, I would use the VOM meter to measure the resistance of each probe and compare it to the known values of the components. This would help identify the different resistors and the short circuit.

To identify the diode, I would use the VOM meter in the diode testing mode to check for the presence of a forward or reverse bias. This would indicate the presence of a diode in the circuit.

To identify the capacitors, I would use the oscilloscope to measure the voltage across each probe and look for any changes in voltage over time. This would indicate the presence of a capacitor in the circuit.

To identify the open circuit, I would use the VOM meter to check for an infinite resistance, indicating an open circuit.

For the DC voltage sources, I would use the VOM meter to measure the voltage at each probe and compare it to the known voltage of the sources. This would help identify the DC voltage sources in the circuit.

For the AC voltage sources, I would use the oscilloscope to measure the voltage at each probe and look for any changes in voltage over time. This would indicate the presence of an AC voltage source in the circuit.

By systematically testing each probe and comparing the results to the known properties of the components, I would be able to create a flowchart to identify each component in the circuit setup. It is important to note that this method may require multiple iterations and adjustments as not all components may be present in the circuit at the same time.

What is the purpose of using a 9v battery to solve unknown circuit setups?

The purpose of using a 9v battery to solve unknown circuit setups is to provide a known and consistent power source for testing and troubleshooting the circuit. This allows for more accurate and controlled measurements of voltage and current to determine the components and connections in the circuit.

How do you use a 9v battery to solve unknown circuit setups?

To use a 9v battery to solve unknown circuit setups, you will need to connect the positive and negative terminals of the battery to different points in the circuit. By doing this, you can observe the effects of the battery on the circuit and make deductions about the components and connections based on the changes in voltage and current.

What are the potential risks of using a 9v battery to solve unknown circuit setups?

The main potential risk of using a 9v battery to solve unknown circuit setups is the possibility of short circuits or electrical shocks. It is important to handle the battery and wires carefully and to avoid touching exposed wires or components while the battery is connected. It is also recommended to use a fuse or circuit breaker to protect against potential short circuits.

What types of circuits can be solved using a 9v battery?

A 9v battery can be used to solve a wide range of circuits, from simple series and parallel circuits to more complex circuits with multiple components and connections. It can also be used to troubleshoot faulty circuits and identify the specific components or connections that are causing issues.

What are the limitations of using a 9v battery to solve unknown circuit setups?

While a 9v battery can be a useful tool for solving unknown circuit setups, it does have some limitations. It may not provide enough power for larger or more complex circuits, and it may not be suitable for circuits that require a specific voltage or current. Additionally, it may not be able to simulate the effects of different power sources, such as AC or variable DC, on the circuit.