1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Circuits for Stupid People

1. Mar 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the voltage V and the power absorbed by the 12-ohm resistor.
    http://i.imgur.com/xCTEI.png

2. Relevant equations

p = vi
    v = ir
    KVL
    KCL

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried using KVL and KCL in various ways. This book gives horrid examples.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2010 #2
    You can solve using mesh analysis if you wanted, but I'd condense that middle branch into an equivalent resistance first.

4 + (1/3 + 1/6)^-1 = 6. Next, write the mesh loops, but leave out that first loop with the current source (but include its effects in that the current going through the 2 ohm resistor is (I_1 - 6))

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    I found the current in the last loop to be .4 A. Using V = IR to solve to get the voltage, I get 4.8 V at the 12-ohm resistor. I then used P = VI to get a power of 9.6 W, but the book has 1.92 W. Did I do anything wrong or is the book wrong again?

5. Mar 23, 2010 #4
    The current is [tex].4[/tex] and the voltage is [tex]4.8[/tex]. However, [tex].4 \times 4.8[/tex] is not [tex]9.6[/tex]. It's [tex]1.92[/tex](as the book says). Also, [tex]I^2 r = (.4)^2 12 = 1.92[/tex] as well if you wanted to avoid that extra calculation of voltage.

To see where the current-dependent equation comes from notice:
    [tex]P=IV[/tex]
    and
    [tex]V=IR[/tex]
    substituting [tex]IR[/tex] for voltage into the power equation brings us to:
    [tex] P = I (IR) = I^2R[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  6. Mar 24, 2010 #5
    Yes, like xcvxcvvc said: P is equal to I2*R as well as V2/R. These only work when you're finding the power absorbed by the resistor!! Also, I think the easiest way to solve this (because mesh equations can get ridiculous and tedious after a while --> source transformation, if you have learned it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook