Calculating Energy Required for Moving Charge: Simple Circuits Problem Solution

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Stevecgz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary: It's best to use the full units names on the variables.In summary, to determine the energy required to move 260C through 6V, the formula V = W/Q was used, where V represents voltage, W represents work (in joules), and Q represents charge. Using this formula, the energy was calculated to be 1560J. The confusion between the variable W for work and watts was resolved, and the correct answer was determined.
Stevecgz

Homework Statement

Determine the energy required to move 260C through 6V.

Homework Equations

q = Cv
U = (1/2)*C*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

C = q/v = 260C/6V = 130/3 F
U = (1/2)(130/3 F)(6V)^2 = 780J

I applied the voltage/charge relationship and energy equation for a capacitor because they seemed to be the only equations that made sense with the given values, but I'm not certain this is correct. If someone could let me know if I'm going about this correctly it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need the formula:

[tex] V = \frac{W}{Q} [/tex]

where V = volts, W = work(energy or joules), and Q = coulombs

Number2Pencil said:
I think you need the formula:

[tex] V = \frac{W}{Q} [/tex]

where V = volts, W = work(energy or joules), and Q = coulombs

It seems the units don't work out for that formula.

Did you mean V = W/I? If so I think it doesn't help for this problem since I don't know the current and can't find the current from the given values.

Ok, I see where I went wrong. I was looking at the variable W as if it had the unit of watts, which in power, not energy. I now see that W is energy is joules, and the formula you wrote does work. Thanks Number2Pencil, I think I can solve the problem now.

Stevecgz said:
Ok, I see where I went wrong. I was looking at the variable W as if it had the unit of watts, which in power, not energy. I now see that W is energy is joules, and the formula you wrote does work. Thanks Number2Pencil, I think I can solve the problem now.

A Watt is a Joule/second, if you did the calculation having used Joules in place of Watts, I'd recommend going back and checking your solution over again

I think the variable W and W as the symbol for watt caused confusion. So the correct answer would be:

Energy = Charge*Potential = 260C*6V = 1560J

Right?

It looks like your going to have to derrive an equation
Try V=E/Q=W/Q... I=Q/t... E=VIt... and Q=Ne

V = voltage in volts E= energy in joules Q= charge W= work in joules I= current in amps N= number of electrons e = electron constant t=time

Stevecgz said:
I think the variable W and W as the symbol for watt caused confusion. So the correct answer would be:

Energy = Charge*Potential = 260C*6V = 1560J

Right?

Correct, Steve. Yeah, using W for both work and Watts can cause confusion.

1. What is a simple circuit?

A simple circuit is a closed path through which electricity can flow. It typically consists of a power source, such as a battery, wires to carry the current, and a load, such as a light bulb, that uses the electricity.

2. How do you calculate the voltage in a simple circuit?

The voltage in a simple circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). In other words, V = I x R.

3. What is the purpose of a resistor in a simple circuit?

Resistors are used in simple circuits to control the amount of current flowing through the circuit. They are designed to resist the flow of electricity, and can be used to reduce the voltage, limit the current, or create specific effects, such as a dimmer light.

4. How do you troubleshoot a simple circuit problem?

The first step in troubleshooting a simple circuit problem is to check all the connections and make sure they are secure. Then, use a multimeter to test the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. If there is a break in the circuit, the voltage and current readings will be different. Additionally, check all components for damage or wear.

5. Can you have too many or too few components in a simple circuit?

Yes, having too many or too few components in a simple circuit can affect its performance. Too many components can cause an overload, leading to overheating or damage to the components. Too few components can result in a circuit that does not function as intended. It is important to carefully plan and choose the appropriate components for a simple circuit.