1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple classic action integral

1. Dec 11, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to solve this simple problem (it's the first problem of Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals by Feynman, I feel like an idiot not being able to do it....) It's just solving for the action, S, of a free particle (no potential, only kinetic energy..)

So it should just be [tex]S = \int_{t_a}^{t_b}{\frac{m}{2} (\frac{dx}{dt})^2 dt}[/tex]
    which according to the book is simply [tex]S = \frac{m}{2} \frac{(x_b - x_a)^2}{t_b - t_a}[/tex]

I've tried a couple of different ways to reason myself into this solution but I can't seem to figure it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

What have you tried so far? What did you plug in for ##dx/dt##?

4. Dec 11, 2012 #3
    Incredibly wrong stuff, heh..

Yeah I'm an idiot. I was supposed to just plug in [itex]v = \left ( \frac{x_{b} - x_{a}}{t_{b} - t_{a}} \right )[/itex] because 'v' is constant from the Euler-Lagrange equation..

Thanks for helping me see what should have been obvious >_< I was hell bent on doing things symbolically and didn't seem to care about the appearance of the end point 'x' values.. These should have been very suggestive.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  5. Dec 11, 2012 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

Great! You figured it out! Yeah, with a problem like this it helps to remember that the action is a functional of ##x(t)## and ##\dot{x}(t)##, so you get different answers depending on which function x(t) you use. Of course, varying the action with respect to x(t) (giving the Euler-Lagrange equations) yields the equation of motion for the classical path. The problem wanted the action of a classical path with boundary values ##x(t_a) = x_a## and ##x(t_b) = x_b##.

It can take some practice seeing these sorts of problems a few times before it clicks. =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook