Solve 1D Elastic Collision of Blocks: Speed of Block 3

• Thread starter student35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, the problem involves a one-dimensional elastic collision between three blocks of different masses. The initial speed of the first block is given and the question asks for the final speed of the third block. The equations for final speeds of the blocks are provided, and the attempt at solving the problem is shown, but is incorrect. The correct answer is found through trial and error.
student35
elastic collision in one dimension
1. Homework Statement

Block 1 of mass m1 slides along an x-axis on a frictionless floor with a speed of 2.40 m/s. Then it undergoes a one-dimensional elastic collision with stationary block 2 of mass m2 = 2.00m1. Next, block 2 undergoes a one-dimensional elastic collision with stationary block 3 of mass m3 = 2.00m2.

what is the speed of block 3? the answer is 1.78.

i just can't figure it out.

more questions that relate to problem...are the speed, kinetic energy, and the momentum of block 3 greater than or less than, or th same as the initial values for block one?

the answers are less, less, greater...

but i don't need help with them because i haven't attempted them yet.

2. Homework Equations

v1f = m1 - m2 / m1 + m2 * v1i

v2f = 2m1 / m1 + m2 *v1i

3. The Attempt at a Solution

v1f = v2i = m1 - m2 / m1 + m2 * v1i
= m - 2m/ m + 2m *4
= -m/3m * 4
= -4/3

v2f = v3i = 2m1 / m1 + m2 * v1i
= 2m / m +2m *4
=2/3 *4
=8/3

v3f = m2 - m3 / m2 + m3 * v2i
= 2 - 4 / 2 + 4 * (-4/3)
= -2/6 (-4/3)
=-8/18

clearly this is wrong. i really did try a lot of different things. what am i doing wrong?

when i multiply (4/3) by (8/3) and divide by 2, i get the right answer! but that's just luck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Follow munchy35's post.

It seems like you are on the right track, but there may be some errors in your calculations. Let's break down the problem and equations to make it easier to understand.

First, we have two blocks colliding in an elastic collision in one dimension. This means that the total kinetic energy and momentum before and after the collision should be the same. This can be represented by the following equations:

Total kinetic energy before collision = Total kinetic energy after collision
Total momentum before collision = Total momentum after collision

Now, let's look at the equations you have listed. You have the correct equations for the final velocities of block 1 and block 2, but the equation for block 3 is incorrect. The correct equation should be:

Notice that the initial velocity for block 2 (v2i) is used in this equation, since block 3 is colliding with block 2 and not block 1.

Now, let's plug in the values given in the problem:

v1f = m1 - m2 / m1 + m2 * v1i
= m - 2m/ m + 2m * 2.40
= -m/3m * 2.40
= -0.8 m/s

v2f = 2m1 / m1 + m2 * v1i
= 2m / m +2m * 2.40
=2/3 * 2.40
=1.60 m/s

= 2 - 4 / 2 + 4 * 1.60
= -2/6 (1.60)
=-8/18
= -0.44 m/s

As you can see, the final velocity of block 3 is negative, indicating that it is moving in the opposite direction of the initial motion of block 1. This makes sense, as block 3 is colliding with block 2, which is moving in the opposite direction.

To answer the additional questions, we can use the equations for kinetic energy and momentum before and after the collision:

Initial kinetic energy = 1/2 * m1 * v1i^2 = 1/2 * m * (2.40)^2

1. What is a 1D elastic collision?

A 1D elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects that takes place in one dimension and results in no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How do you calculate the speed of Block 3 in a 1D elastic collision?

The speed of Block 3 can be calculated using the formula: v3 = [(m1-m2)v1 + 2m2v2]/(m1+m2), where v3 is the speed of Block 3, m1 and m2 are the masses of Block 1 and Block 2 respectively, and v1 and v2 are their initial speeds.

3. What is the difference between a 1D elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In a 1D elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the objects bounce off each other. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and the objects stick together after the collision.

4. What are the key assumptions made in solving a 1D elastic collision?

The key assumptions made in solving a 1D elastic collision include the conservation of kinetic energy and momentum, and the absence of external forces such as friction or air resistance.

5. How does the speed of Block 3 change if the masses of Block 1 and Block 2 are equal?

If the masses of Block 1 and Block 2 are equal, the speed of Block 3 will be equal to the average of their initial speeds. This is because the formula for calculating the speed of Block 3 reduces to v3 = (v1 + v2)/2 in this case.