Choosing Class Representatives: A Combination Problem

• Thread starter mtayab1994
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary: OP know it?yes, because he got the right answer :smile: (which i was confirming) …the other answer would have been 237336 :wink:yes, because he got the right answer :smile: (which i was confirming) …the other answer would have been 237336 :wink:
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

A class consists of 33 students 20 girls and 13 boys.

Homework Equations

We want to choose a team of 5 class representatives consisting of 3 girls and 2 boys.

What is the possibility of choosing the 5 people.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the combination definition i got: nCr=nPr/r! I got total of 88920 combinations . Is that correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mtayab1994! :smile:
mtayab1994 said:

Using the combination definition i got: nCr=nPr/r! I got total of 88920 combinations . Is that correct.

(that's 20C3*13C2)

yes :smile:

(is anything worrying you about that?)

tiny-tim said:
hi mtayab1994! :smile:

(that's 20C3*13C2)

yes :smile:

(is anything worrying you about that?)

Not really, I just haven't learned it yet in school that's why I'm just trying to make sure.

mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

We want to choose a team of 5 class representatives consisting of 3 girls and 2 boys.

What is the possibility of choosing the 5 people.

The Attempt at a Solution

What are the n and r are you using in this formula? Is n = 33? Is r = 5? If so, you are counting all the 5-person committees. Is that what the question asked?

RGV

Ray, see my post
tiny-tim said:
(that's 20C3*13C2)

… I did that to save you having to check! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Ray, see my post

… I did that to save you having to check! :wink:

Actually, it is important for the OP to answer the questions and to think about why people ask them! You and I both know the answer; does the OP know it?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
does the OP know it?

yes, because he got the right answer :smile: (which i was confirming) …

the other answer would have been 237336 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
yes, because he got the right answer :smile: (which i was confirming) …

the other answer would have been 237336 :wink:

OK, but another point (that I hope the OP gets) is the merit of showing some intermediate steps. Some instructors/TAs require that, and perhaps some do not, but it is always a good idea. A common situation is when a student writes down the intermediate step correctly but then makes an arithmetic error (or copies the results incorrectly) and so gets an incorrect final numerical answer. If he/she just writes down the number, and it is wrong, the question gets 0, but if an intermediate step is written the question may (depending on policy, etc.) get part marks---the theory being that the student seems to know what he/she is doing but just made a simple arithmetic mistake. Of course, the student needs to fit the requirements to the syllabus, but being explicit and communicating effectively cannot do any harm.

Also: as to your point about the 'right answer': I have seen it happen a few times over the years that a student uses the wrong formula, makes an arithmetic error and for that reason gets the right answer!

RGV

What is a simple combination question?

A simple combination question is a type of question that asks you to determine the number of ways to arrange or select a set of items. These questions often involve using the principles of permutation and combination to find the answer.

What is the difference between a permutation and combination?

A permutation is an ordered arrangement of objects, meaning that the order in which the objects are arranged matters. A combination, on the other hand, is an unordered selection of objects, meaning that the order does not matter.

How do I solve a simple combination question?

To solve a simple combination question, you first need to identify whether it is a permutation or combination problem. Then, use the appropriate formula (nCr or nPr) to find the number of ways to arrange or select the objects. Finally, plug in the values and solve for the answer.

What is the formula for combinations?

The formula for combinations is nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. The exclamation mark (!) represents the factorial function, which means multiplying the number by all the positive integers less than it.

What are some real-life applications of simple combination questions?

Simple combination questions can be used in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. They can also be applied in real-life situations such as determining the number of possible combinations for a lock, arranging seats for a wedding reception, or selecting a team from a group of people.