1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple combinatorics q

1. Jul 28, 2005 #1
    The question goes something like this...

What is the probability of an E being one of the 4 randomly chosen letters from the word ENERGISE?

This is how i did it (the book says its wrong):

ENERGISE ==> 3 Es, 5 Non-Es (partitioning)

hence: (3c1*5c3)/(8c4)

the book has 55/56....

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2005 #2
    I don't see how they came up with that answer....I think your answer is correct.

(note 8C3 is 56...why would the book have that?)

4. Jul 28, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Catalyst : I suggest you write down the question exactly as it appears. There are two similar looking possibilities : (i) the probability that there is EXACTLY 1 E among 4 randomly chosen letters , and (ii) the probability that there is AT LEAST 1 E among the 4 letters.

PS : You have answered assuming the first case. If that is the right case, then your answer is correct. Notice that the book's answer = 1 - your answer. If it is the second case, the book's answer is still wrong.

5. Jul 28, 2005 #4

Why do you say that? catalyst55's answer is 3/7....1-3/7=4/7. :confused: Am I missing something here?????? :redface:

6. Jul 28, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, you're not. I'm just losing it slowly... :biggrin:

My bad there. I must have forgotten how to multiply ! :redface:

7. Jul 29, 2005 #6
    Hey Gokul43201,

I've thought about that and ive concluded that its definitely the former -- either way the answer on the back is wrong.

I've also asked my teacher and he's confirmed this.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?