1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple comlex vector problem

1. Jul 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let x=(i,1,1) and y=(1,i,2)

find the magnitude of ix+y

3. The attempt at a solution

i(i,1,1)+(1,i,2)=(0,2i,2+i)

therefore mag sqrd = 0^2+(2i+2(-i))+(2+i)(2-i)=9 => magnitude = 3???

is this rite? i have completely forgotten when to take the conjugates... idk if im not meant to take the conjugate of 2i, but i have to for 2+i.... plz can anyone reassure me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't look like you did it right... why don't you start by writing down the definition of the magnitude of a vector? Then remember that [itex]|a|^2 = a \bar{a}[/itex]

4. Jul 28, 2009 #3
    magnitude of a vector is its length, normally would do pythagouras, but for complex the magnitude is sqr root of the vector*conjugate. i think

5. Jul 28, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So why don't you write that out explicitly? That's not what you did in your original post. Work it out slowly

6. Jul 28, 2009 #5
    ok well i(i,1,1)dotproduct(1,i,2)=(-1,i,i)dotproduct(1,i,2)=(-1+1)i+(i+i)j+(2+i)k=(0,2i,2+i)

sqr root of that taking conjugates..(which not not sure about) = root(0^2+(2i*-2i)+((2+i)(2-i)))=root(0+4+5)=root(9)=3????? i cant take it any slower then that, plz can u tell me where i am going wrong

7. Jul 28, 2009 #6
    or r u sayingi have to take the conjugate when i multiply x by i???

then it would be root((1,i,i)dot(1,-i,-i)+(1,i,2)dot(1,-i,2))=root((1+1+1)+(1+1+4))=root(9)=3??????? omg i dont know

8. Jul 28, 2009 #7
    anyone have any ideaS?

9. Jul 29, 2009 #8
    plz anyone?

10. Jul 31, 2009 #9
    no one?

11. Aug 1, 2009 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't believe so. Your ix + y is the vector you want the magnitude of, so it's the one you want to multiply by its complex conjugate.
    I also get 3 for the magnitude of ix + y.

12. Aug 1, 2009 #11
    ok thankyou very much = ) yes i thought so, just havnt done this stuff in so long, lost confidence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook