Can [A,B^n] always equal 0 if [A,B] equals 0?

In summary, if A and B commute with their commutator, then [A,B^n]=nB^n-1[A,B]. This can be repeated for all positive integer powers, so the general result follows.
cdot
This is not a homework problem. It was stated in a textbook as trivial but I cannot prove it myself in general. If [A,B]=0 then [A,B^n] = 0 where n is a positive integer. This seems rather intuitive and I can easily see it to be true when I plug in n=2, n=3, n=4, etc. However, I cannot prove it in the general case and this really bothers me. Here's what I got so far:

[A,B^n] = [A,BB^n-1] = [A,B]B^n-1 + B[A,B^n-1] = 0 + B[A,B^n-1]

Not sure where to go from here?

Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
cdot said:
This is not a homework problem. It was stated in a textbook as trivial but I cannot prove it myself in general. If [A,B]=0 then [A,B^n] = 0 where n is a positive integer. This seems rather intuitive and I can easily see it to be true when I plug in n=2, n=3, n=4, etc. However, I cannot prove it in the general case and this really bothers me. Here's what I got so far:

[A,B^n] = [A,BB^n-1] = [A,B]B^n-1 + B[A,B^n-1] = 0 + B[A,B^n-1]

Not sure where to go from here?

Thanks so much.

Hint: ##[A, B] = 0## means that ##A## and ##B## commute.

Hint #2: do you know how to do proof by induction?

So I realize that [A,B] = 0 means AB = BA and I actually just walked myself through a case of proof by induction to show that if two linear operators A and B both commute with their commutator ( I understand what this means ) then [A,B^n]=nB^n-1[A,B]. I don't have that much experience with proof by induction (I'm just an undergrad) and even though I felt like I understood the worked out proof,I'm having a hard time applying it to this example and it's driving me crazy.

So do you still have a problem or not?

You stated yourself that ##\left[A,\,B\right]=0##
It then follows that ##\left[A, B^2\right]=B\left[A, B\right]+\left[A, B\right]B=0##
But then it follows that ##[A, B^3]=B[A, B^2]+[A, B]B^2=0##

This can be repeated for all positive integer powers, so the general result follows.

Last edited:
cdot said:
So I realize that [A,B] = 0 means AB = BA and I actually just walked myself through a case of proof by induction to show that if two linear operators A and B both commute with their commutator ( I understand what this means ) then [A,B^n]=nB^n-1[A,B]. I don't have that much experience with proof by induction (I'm just an undergrad) and even though I felt like I understood the worked out proof,I'm having a hard time applying it to this example and it's driving me crazy.

If ##A## commutes with ##B## then it must commute with ##B^2## and ##B^3## etc.

Another way to look at it is that if we have ##X_1, X_2 \dots X_n## and they all commute with each other, then we can write the product of the ##X's## in any order.

In this case we have ##A, B, \dots B## that all commute with each other, so we can write the product in any order. I.e.

##AB^n = BAB^{n-1} = B^2AB^{n-2} = \dots = B^{n-1}AB = B^nA##

If you look at it this way, the result could be said to be obvious.

PeroK that makes a lot of sense. What Cryo did above also makes perfect sense. That's what I originally did, I just wasn't sure that constituted an actual proof. Also, how do you get your superscripts/subscripts to look nice on here. It doesn't seem to be working for me? Ex. x^2

Nevermind got it! Thanks for your help

1. What is the Simple Commutator Identity?

The Simple Commutator Identity is a mathematical concept used in group theory and linear algebra. It states that the commutator of any two elements in a group is equal to the product of their inverses. In other words, if A and B are elements in a group, then [A, B] = ABAB-1.

2. How is the Simple Commutator Identity used in physics?

In physics, the Simple Commutator Identity is used to calculate the commutation relations between different physical quantities or operators. This is particularly useful in quantum mechanics, where operators do not necessarily commute and the Simple Commutator Identity allows for the calculation of their commutator.

3. Is the Simple Commutator Identity always true?

Yes, the Simple Commutator Identity holds true for all elements in a group. However, it may not always be useful or necessary to use in certain situations.

4. Can the Simple Commutator Identity be applied to non-abelian groups?

Yes, the Simple Commutator Identity is applicable to both abelian and non-abelian groups. In fact, it is particularly useful in non-abelian groups where the commutator is not equal to the identity element.

5. Are there any other identities related to the Simple Commutator Identity?

Yes, there are several other identities that are related to the Simple Commutator Identity, including the Jacobi identity and the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula. These identities are used in various fields of mathematics and physics, such as Lie algebras and quantum mechanics.