Simple Complex Analaysis, I can't get this right

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the modulus of a complex number z is defined to be the positive square root of z z'. This definition is motivated by the concept of the modulus being the length of z when viewed as a vector in the x-y plane. The "principal" square root is always the positive value, but when solving equations such as x^2 = 25, both positive and negative values must be considered.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Find the modulus of |z| for z = 4 + 3i

The Attempt at a Solution

z' = 4 - 3i

z'z = 25

[tex]\sqrt{25}[/tex] = plus or minus 5

My book and Mathematic only take positive roots, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
The modulus of a complex number z is defined to be the positive square root of z z'. That's it - it's just a definition.

The motivation for this definition is that the modulus is supposed to be the length of z if you think of z as a vector in the x-y plane. In the case of z = 4 + 3i, the vector points from (0,0) to (4,3) and so its length is 5 (certainly not -5).

flyingpig said:

[tex]\sqrt{25}[/tex] = plus or minus 5

My book and Mathematic only take positive roots, why?

[tex]\sqrt{25} = +5[/tex]. That radical symbol denotes the principal square root, which is positive.

SammyS said:
[tex]\sqrt{25} = +5[/tex]. That radical symbol denotes the principal square root, which is positive.

Wow what?

flyingpig said:
Wow what?

That simply means that when you write [tex] \sqrt{25} [/tex], or [tex] \sqrt{16} [/tex], or
[tex] \sqrt{2729275.5839} [/tex], by definition the positive square root is the one
that is intended. If you want the negative value you need to indicate it, viz. [tex] -\sqrt{25} = -5 [/tex].

flyingpig said:
Wow what?
That wasn't very nice of me, was it?

Now, if you're solving x2=25, for example, then there are a couple of ways to show that the solution is: x = ±5. (I could have said: x = ±√(25) just as correctly.)

Method 1:
If x2 = 25, then x2 - 25 =0 . Factoring the LHS gives: (x+5)(x-5)=0

The zero product property of real numbers gives the solutions: x = 5 or x= -5.​

Method 2:
If x2 = 25, then taking the (principal) square root of both sides gives:

[tex]\sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{25}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{25}\text{ is }5\,, \text{ (That's positive 5 .) and }\sqrt{x^2}\text{ is }|x|\,.[/tex]

So we have: [tex]\text{ }|x|=5 \ .[/tex]

Therefore: [tex]x=\pm5\,.[/tex]​

1. What is Simple Complex Analysis?

Simple Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of complex numbers and their functions. It involves the study of complex variables, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. Simple Complex Analysis also explores the applications of complex numbers in other fields such as physics and engineering.

2. Why is Simple Complex Analysis important?

Simple Complex Analysis is important because it provides a powerful tool for understanding and solving problems in mathematics and other scientific fields. It allows for the analysis of functions that cannot be easily solved using real numbers alone, and it has many practical applications in areas such as signal processing, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

3. What are some key concepts in Simple Complex Analysis?

Some key concepts in Simple Complex Analysis include complex numbers, analytic functions, contour integration, and Cauchy's integral theorem. Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. Analytic functions are functions that can be represented as a power series and have a derivative at every point in their domain. Contour integration involves integrating a function along a specified path in the complex plane. Cauchy's integral theorem states that the value of a contour integral around a closed path is equal to the sum of the values of the function inside the contour.

4. What are some common challenges in learning Simple Complex Analysis?

Some common challenges in learning Simple Complex Analysis include understanding the properties and behavior of complex numbers, visualizing complex functions, and mastering the various techniques and theorems involved in the subject. It also requires a strong foundation in calculus and familiarity with mathematical proofs.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Simple Complex Analysis?

To improve your understanding of Simple Complex Analysis, it is important to practice solving problems and working through proofs. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and study groups. Additionally, developing a strong foundation in calculus and reviewing basic concepts in complex numbers can aid in understanding more complex topics in Simple Complex Analysis.