1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple complex integration

1. Aug 25, 2007 #1
    Integrate cosh(4z) w.r.t., z, for any path from [tex] \frac{-\pi i}{8} \inbox{to } \frac{\pi i}{8} [/tex]. If the function is analytic, i.e., obeys Cauchy - Riemann equations we can integrate as in standard calculus.
    [tex] \frac{{\partial \cosh(4(x+iy)}}{{\partial x}} = a\sinh(4x + 4iy) \\ \frac{{\partial \cosh(4x +4iy)}}{{\partial y }} = 4i\sinh(4x + 4iy)\\[/tex]. Therefore [tex] u_x [/tex] and [tex] v_y [/tex] are not equal, therefore the cosh(4z) is not analytic. So we integrate as follows: C (the path of integration) can be represented by z(t)= 0 + it, [tex] \frac{-\pi}{8} \leq t \leq \frac{\pi}{8}\\[/tex] Hence [tex] \dot z(t) = \iota \\[/tex] and f(z(t)) = cosh(it), therefore [tex] \int_C \cosh(z) dz = \int_{\frac{-\pi}{8}}^\frac{\pi}{8} \cosh(it)\iota dt \\[/tex] = sinh(it) evulated at the respective limits = [tex] 2\sinh(\frac{\iota\pi}{8}) \ [/tex]
    I don't think that this is correct, I think my Z(t) = 0 +it is wrong.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

cosh(4z) IS analytic. You have to split the function into real and imaginary parts before applying CR. cosh(z)=(e^z+e^-z)/2. Now e.g. e^z=e^(x+iy)=e^x*e^(iy)=e^x*(cos(y)+i*sin(y)). So the split for e^z is u(x,y)=e^x*cos(y) and v(x,y)=e^x*sin(y) and it IS analytic. Similarly for cosh(z).

4. Aug 27, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the reply Dick. As a matter of interest do you know how "Cauchy" is pronounced? E.g., Ca-u-chy?

5. Aug 27, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Co-she, 'co' as in coordinate and 'she' as in she. You're welcome.

6. Aug 27, 2007 #5
    You can use the fundamental theorem of calculus here, it is easy to find the primitive of cosh(4z)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?