What Are the Solutions for e^z in Complex Numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions on a homework assignment involving e^z = e and e^z = e^-z. The individual is struggling to find the correct answers and has been online for over an hour. They mention guessing for the first question and finding the answer for the second in the back of the book. The conversation also briefly touches on the topic of ex+iy for x and y real numbers, with the individual feeling like they are missing something simple. They are advised to review how to calculate ex+iy using the exponential form.
stihl29

Homework Statement

e^z = e
e^z = e^-z

Homework Equations

they are the first 2 questions on my homework and my book is so bad i don't even know how to get the right answers, I've been online for over an hour I'm i'm sure they are easy.

The Attempt at a Solution

ffirst one just guessing ?
z = 1 ?
second in the back of the book says z = i*k*pi k = 1, 2, 3..

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about ex+iy for x and y real numbers?

e^x(cos(y) + isin(y)) = e??
i got that ones, i feel like I'm being really dumb and just not seeing something really simple

What? That doesn't make any sense. You should review how to calculate ex+iy by splitting it up into exeiy and calculating eiy

1. What is a simple complex logarithm?

A simple complex logarithm is a mathematical function that is used to express a complex number in terms of its logarithm. It is an inverse to the exponential function and is commonly denoted as log(z) or ln(z).

2. How is a simple complex logarithm calculated?

A simple complex logarithm is calculated by taking the natural logarithm of the absolute value of a complex number and then adding the angle of the number in radians, multiplied by the imaginary number i. The formula is log(z) = ln|z| + iθ.

3. What is the difference between a simple complex logarithm and a complex logarithm?

A simple complex logarithm only takes into account the principal branch of the logarithm, which is the branch that contains the positive real numbers. A complex logarithm, on the other hand, can take into account all possible branches of the logarithm function, which can lead to multiple values for a single complex number.

4. What are the properties of a simple complex logarithm?

Some of the properties of a simple complex logarithm include the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule. It also follows the basic properties of logarithmic functions, such as the inverse property and the change of base formula.

5. How is a simple complex logarithm used in real life?

A simple complex logarithm is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is also used in signal processing to analyze the frequency and phase of signals. Additionally, it is used in computer science to calculate the complexity of algorithms and data structures.