Conservation of Energy in a Cart Falling from a Table

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of conservation of energy in a physics problem involving a cart riding on a horizontal surface and then falling to the floor. The formula mgh + (m v^2)/2 = (m v_0^2)/2 + mgh_0 is mentioned as a preferred way to memorize the equation. The question is posed about whether velocity is conserved in this situation and the concept of mixing and matching horizontal and vertical velocities is discussed. The solution to the problem involves using conservation of energy, and it is mentioned that in projectile motion, horizontal and vertical motion should be treated separately.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

delta E = 0 = delta K + delta U
delta U = -delta K
mg(h - h_0) = m/2 (v_0^2 - v^2)

or in its common form

mgh - mgh_0 = (m v_0^2)/2 -(m v^2)/2
mgh + (m v^2)/2 = (m v_0^2)/2 + mgh_0

which is how msot people perfer to memorize very simple intro to physics conservation of energy equations but I prefer this formula as it is more sipmle

mg(h - h_0) = m/2 (v_0^2 - v^2)

now my question is velocity conserved in the following situation

a cart is riding on a horizontal surface I know the velocity right before it leavs the horizontal surface and fall to the floor

now this velocity is a horizontal velocity right so let's let this equal the velocity naught ok but the thing is that the final velocity will be equal to the velocity naught, except not really becasue of drag force but that's not a topic of AP physics B, so the horizontal velocity is the only velocity that changes but in this case there would be a final velocity but the velocity naught in the y direction would be zero because it only has a initial horizontal velocity...

Like I'm trying to solve this problem and can't becasue I think in order to do so I have to use both a horizontal velocity for the inital right before the cart which is perfectly fine but then I have to solve for the final vertical velocity in order to solve for the kinetic energy right before it reachs the ground which I don't like one bit

how can i mix and match horizontal velocities and vertical velocities whenever I want...

Heres the problem

[PLAIN]http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9841/physics1.jpg

heres the scoring guidelines for (d) which I need help with
[PLAIN]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6328/physics2.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:
Like I'm trying to solve this problem and can't becasue I think in order to do so I have to use both a horizontal velocity for the inital right before the cart which is perfectly fine but then I have to solve for the final vertical velocity in order to solve for the kinetic energy right before it reachs the ground which I don't like one bit

how can i mix and match horizontal velocities and vertical velocities whenever I want...
Once you've calculated the speed of the cart as it leaves the table, all you need (for part d) is conservation of energy. You don't need to solve for the final vertical velocity, although it's perfectly fine if you do (just more work). In projectile motion, treat horizontal and vertical motion separately, since only the vertical is accelerated.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to simple systems?

In simple systems, the law of conservation of energy can be observed directly. For example, if a ball is dropped from a height, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it falls. The total energy (potential + kinetic) remains the same throughout the process.

3. What are some examples of energy conversions in everyday life?

Some examples of energy conversions in everyday life include: a light bulb converting electrical energy into light and heat energy, a car engine converting chemical energy into mechanical energy, and a wind turbine converting wind energy into electrical energy.

4. What role does friction play in conservation of energy?

Friction plays a significant role in conservation of energy as it converts kinetic energy into heat energy, which is typically considered to be a less useful form of energy. This means that in systems where friction is present, the total amount of energy will decrease over time.

5. How does the law of conservation of energy relate to the concept of perpetual motion?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, which means that a perpetual motion machine, which is a machine that can continue to operate indefinitely without any external energy sources, is impossible. This is because in order to keep moving, the machine would need to continuously create energy, which goes against the law of conservation of energy.