1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple contour integral

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    Trying to teach myself contour integration, but I'm not so good at it. I want help with evaluating the closed integral:

∫sinθ/(a-sinθ)dθ from -[itex]\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex]

So I substitute z= e, and sinθ = -i/2(z-z-1) and dθ = -ie-iθdz

So our integral becomes:

∫-i/2(z-z-1)/(a+i/2(z-z-1) dz

Is this correct so far? If so, what do I do from this point? I suppose I want to find the order of the pole for this function?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2
    Where is the -i/z from dθ=-i/z dz?

So next you should convince yourself that the integration region is bounded by a simple curve, and then find all the poles inside this curve.

4. May 10, 2012 #3
    oops, I forgot that on here :)

Okay, so I thought that's what I should do, but how do you determine the order of the pole for such a messy expression? i.e. how can you in general be sure that the pole you get in the denominator is not cancelled off by something in the numerator? :)

5. May 10, 2012 #4
    You simply plug the number into the numerator (remember that numerator here is everything besides the ##(z-a)^m## term where a is the pole) and if the result is not 0 then m is your order.

Your integral is correct, but in the case of finding poles, it is best to clean it up a bit.

##\displaystyle \int_{\partial \mathbb{D}} \frac{-\frac{i}{2} (z-z^{-1})}{a+ \frac{i}{2} (z-z^{-1})} dz##

(I rewrote it so the integral is easier to view by people)

You converted it correctly, since you substituted for ##e^{it}##, you are integrating around the unit disk and since ##t \in [-\pi,\pi]## this becomes contour integral now. The easiest way to find the poles would be to multiply through by (2z)/(2z) to get rid of all the fractions and then consider what make the integrand undefined. Like I mentioned above, simply write the integrand as ##\frac{g(z)}{(z-a)^m}## and verify ##g(a) \neq 0##. Then ##m## is the order of the pole ##a##. Then use the Residue Theorem.

The residues eventually come out to clean numbers, so don't be deterred by the messy algebra.

Edit: Some of your residues might be outside of ##\mathbb{D}## depending on your choice of ##a##. Remember to take that into account.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  6. May 11, 2012 #5
    There are three cases to consider here (assuming a is real): a = 0, 0<a≤1 and a>1. Only the latter one is of any interest, since a=0 is trivial, and the integral does not converge if 0<a≤1.

7. May 11, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You say you are doing this as a contour integral in the complex plane but you haven't said what contour!

8. May 11, 2012 #7
    a<-1 is also a valid case.

9. May 15, 2012 #8
    Has been a while, but going back into solving this integral.

So I end up with the integral:

∫ (z-1-z)/(2az + iz2-i) dz

Now the roots of the equations in the denominator are clearly poles. But how do I know, that you can't get higher order poles by reducing the fraction further? And secondly: The z-1 in the numerator is undefined for z=0 - will that make a problem?

10. May 15, 2012 #9
    Clearly z=0 is a pole. In this case it's easy to find all the poles. Just write the integrand as [itex] \frac{P(z)}{Q(z)} [/itex] where P and Q are polynomials. Then find all the roots of Q, and those are the poles.

11. May 15, 2012 #10
    So my expression is not correct for evaluating the integral? Please show me how you get that ratio of polynomials you want? :(

12. May 15, 2012 #11
    You just multiplied the denominator by ##2z## and then multiplied the top by 2/i for some reason? The whole reason for multiplying by ##\frac{2z}{2z}## is to get rid of the zeroes in the numerator (and "transfer" them down to the denominator, so to speak).

So, go back and multiply ##\displaystyle \int_{\partial \mathbb{D}} \frac{-\frac{i}{2} (z-z^{-1})}{a+ \frac{i}{2} (z-z^{-1})} dz## by 2z/2z and you will hopefully see what to do from there!

13. May 15, 2012 #12
    Well, in your version, where did the 1/iz term go?
    The original integral is:

∫(1/2i(z-1-z)/(a-1/2i(z-z-1) dz/iz

How do you come to your version from that? Seems to me like you left out the iz term under dz, which I then put back in? Maybe I'm just a bit tired, but I should think something is wrong.

14. May 18, 2012 #13
    Hi all, I think I managed to find the poles inside the unit circle, which as ai - i√(a2-1) in agreement with my solutions notes. However, I also found that z=0 is a pole, which my book does agree on. Who is right, and why? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook