Proving Convergence: Solving the Limit of 1/(6n^2+1) = 0

In summary, you are trying to show that the limit of a sequence of real numbers is equal to a certain number, but you are getting an inequality instead.
Mr Davis 97
I am trying to show that ##\displaystyle \lim \frac{1}{6n^2+1}=0##.

First, we have to find an N such that, given an ##\epsilon > 0##, we have that ##\frac{1}{6n^2+1} < \epsilon##. But in finding such an N, I get the inequality ##n> \sqrt{\frac{1}{6}(\frac{1}{\epsilon}-1)}##. But clearly with the square root we would have to have that ##\epsilon>1##, which doesn't make any sense since epsilon can be any positive real number. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You got that wrong. To keep 1/ε -1 > 0, you need ε < 1.

You can be very generous here. You could e.g. take as well ##\varepsilon^3## and ##n^3 > 6n^2 +1##. Maybe at the end there will be a maximum somewhere, as ##2^3 \ngtr 6\cdot 2^2 +1## and the starting point is say ##N > 20##, but any estimates can be generous.

Likes FactChecker
fresh_42 said:
You can be very generous here. You could e.g. take as well ##\varepsilon^3## and ##n^3 > 6n^2 +1##. Maybe at the end there will be a maximum somewhere, as ##2^3 \ngtr 6\cdot 2^2 +1## and the starting point is say ##N > 20##, but any estimates can be generous.
So I could use ##\frac{1}{6n^2}## just as well as ##\frac{1}{6n^2+1}## to prove convergence, since ##\forall n \in \mathbb{N} \frac{1}{6n^2+1} < \frac{1}{6n^2}##?

You have to prove ##\frac{1}{6n^2+1} < ... < \varepsilon## for all ##n > N=N(\varepsilon)##. The inequalities don't have to be close, only true. So ##\frac{1}{6n^2+1} < \frac{1}{6n^2}## as a first step is allowed.

fresh_42 said:
You have to prove ##\frac{1}{6n^2+1} < ... < \varepsilon## for all ##n > N=N(\varepsilon)##. The inequalities don't have to be close, only true. So ##\frac{1}{6n^2+1} < \frac{1}{6n^2}## as a first step is allowed.
So in general, if ##\forall n \in \mathbb{N} ~ a_n \ge b_n## and ##b_n## converges, then ##a_n## converges?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So in general, if ##\forall n \in \mathbb{N} ~ a_n \ge b_n## and ##b_n## converges, then ##a_n## converges?
Why that? Simply take ##a_n=n## and ##b_n=1##.

Mr Davis 97 said:
You are being a little careless with your inequalities. You should say "and an converges, than bn converges"

The idea is, that whatever one chooses for a radius ##r## of an open ball or interval around the limit, there will always be the rest of all sequence members within it, i.e. all up to finitely many (which are allowed to be outside). The members ##a_1 ,\ldots , a_N## are allowed outside, the members ##a_{N+1},\ldots ## all must be inside. The only thing is, that this radius here is called ##r=\varepsilon##. And of course the choice of ##N## depends on how small the ball / interval is; which is why I prefer to write ##N(\varepsilon)## instead. It reminds me on this fact.

1. What is a simple convergence proof?

A simple convergence proof is a mathematical proof that shows the convergence of a sequence or series. It demonstrates that the terms of the sequence or series eventually become arbitrarily close to a fixed limit.

2. How is a simple convergence proof different from other types of convergence proofs?

Unlike other types of convergence proofs, a simple convergence proof does not require advanced mathematical techniques such as calculus or complex analysis. It uses basic algebraic manipulations and properties of limits to show the convergence of a sequence or series.

3. What is the importance of a simple convergence proof?

A simple convergence proof is important because it provides a rigorous and logical explanation for the convergence of a sequence or series. It helps to establish the validity of mathematical results and is essential for understanding and applying concepts in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

4. How do you construct a simple convergence proof?

To construct a simple convergence proof, you need to establish the existence of a limit for the sequence or series, and then show that the terms of the sequence or series approach this limit. This is typically done by manipulating the terms of the sequence or series using algebraic operations and the properties of limits.

5. Can a simple convergence proof be applied to any sequence or series?

Yes, a simple convergence proof can be applied to any sequence or series, as long as it satisfies the conditions for convergence. However, some sequences or series may require more advanced techniques for their convergence to be proven.