Finding the Position and Charge for a Zero Resultant Force in Coulomb's Law

In summary, the problem requires placing a third charge between two positive charges along the x-axis so that the resultant force acting on it is zero. Using the given equations and solving for the distance, the third charge should be placed at a distance of 0.555556m from the origin, making it a negative charge. However, further considerations suggest that the correct distance may actually be 86cm from the origin.
EvanQ

Homework Statement

Three point charges lie along the x axis. A positive charge q1=16.0mC is at x=2.00m. Another positive charge q2=9.00mC is at the origin.

Where should we put a third charge so the resultant force acting on it is zero?

What should be the sign of the charge?

Homework Equations

F=k(Qq/(r^2))

k=9x10^9 (Nm^2)/(C^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, the charge must be -ve if there is going to be a net force of zero acting on it between the two positive charges.

Let the distance between the origin charge and the negative charge be x. Therefore the distance between q2 and the negative charge will be 2m - x.

The force between charges 1 and 3, and the force between charges 2 and 3 must be equal if there is to be no net charge, thus F13 = F23.

F13 = 9x10^9 ((Qx9uc)/(x^2))

F23 = 9x10^9 ((Qx16uc)/((2-x)^2))
= 9x10^9 ((Qx16uc)/(x^2 -4x+4)

((Qx16)/(x^2 -4x+4) = ((Qx9)/(x^2))

let Q = 1 for the sake of ratio's.

16/(-4x+4) = 9
4/(-x+1)=9
-x+1 = 0.44
x=0.555556

Therefore the 3rd charge should be places 55.5cm from the origin.

I feel like this is definitely wrong and my algebra is whacked up somewhere... can anyone help showing me where and how to rectify it? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
EvanQ said:
((Qx16)/(x^2 -4x+4) = ((Qx9)/(x^2))

let Q = 1 for the sake of ratio's.

16/(-4x+4) = 9
4/(-x+1)=9
-x+1 = 0.44
x=0.555556

From ((Qx16)/(x^2 -4x+4) = ((Qx9)/(x^2)), you write 16/(-4x+4) = 9?

Cross-multiply and solve properly.

Does the charge have to be -ve?

alright got it now, thanks a lot for your help.

i was about 80% through typing out my reworking to see if you could check it when i accidentally clicked the back button on my mouse and lost it all, and i really can't put myself through typing it again lol.

EvanQ said:

Homework Statement

Three point charges lie along the x axis. A positive charge q1=16.0mC is at x=2.00m. Another positive charge q2=9.00mC is at the origin.

Where should we put a third charge so the resultant force acting on it is zero?.

I think your answer is wrong. Because q[tex]_{}2[/tex]=9[tex]\mu[/tex]c is placed at the origin so q[tex]_{3}[/tex] must be placed between q[tex]_{2}[/tex] and q[tex]_{1}[/tex] and if X is the distance that q[tex]_{3}[/tex] is placed from the origin the answer will be " X=86cm ".Because kq[tex]_{}3[/tex]q[tex]_{}2[/tex]/x[tex]^{}2[/tex]=kq[tex]_{}3[/tex]q[tex]_{}1[/tex]/(2-X)[tex]^{}2[/tex] and of course the charge must be minus

rado5 said:
... and of course the charge must be minus

You sound very confident. Think about it for a while.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate the force between two charged particles using Coulomb's Law?

To calculate the force between two charged particles, you can use the equation F = k(q1q2/r^2), where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the value of the Coulomb's constant?

The value of the Coulomb's constant is 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. It is a proportionality constant that relates the force between two charged particles to their charges and the distance between them.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law applies to both positive and negative charges. The direction of the force will depend on the sign of the charges, with like charges repelling each other and opposite charges attracting each other.

5. How does distance affect the force between two charged particles?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases. In other words, the force becomes weaker as the particles are further apart.