Rank Brightness of 5 Bulbs: Simple DC Circuit

In summary, the brightness of a bulb depends on the power across the bulb. The brightness of each bulb depends on the power across the bulb.
krnhseya

Homework Statement

Rank the brightness of five bulbs (3 different circuits) considering all the batteries and light bulbs are identical.

1st circuit - 1 battery hooked to bulb A.
2nd circuit - 1 battery with positive end hooks to bulb B then bulb B connects to bulb C then comes back to negative side of battery. (series)
3rd circuit - 2 batteries (series) with positive end of first battery hooks to bulb D then bulb D connects to bulb E then comes back to negative side of other battery.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's this...A=D>E>B>C...

I think I am missing something really important...question seems to be so...simple!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you just solved it intuitively or have you also set up some equations?
And why is A=D=E > B=C?

Update, D>A=E>B>C.

I can't relate this to anything. I am clueless of this kind of stuff.
I simply reordered based on what I experimented previously.
:(

Your problem asks for the brightness.
On what does the brightness depend?
After you answered that question, can you relate it to your relevant equation?

Brightness depends on current, I, right?
so D should be the brightest due to number of batteries then A=E>B>C...(?)

The brightness of each bulb depends on the power across the bulb. Do you know how to find power?

ranger said:
The brightness of each bulb depends on the power across the bulb. Do you know how to find power?

Hm...is this necessary steps?
I have not learned it...
It seems like it can be solved really easily but...:confused: :frown:

By the way, this isn't suppose to be workout problems...
It is prelab that I am suppose to do...

krnhseya said:
Hm...is this necessary steps?
I have not learned it...
It seems like it can be solved really easily but...:confused: :frown:

By the way, this isn't suppose to be workout problems...
It is prelab that I am suppose to do...

Well, yea I guess you can solve it by making educated guesses. But that is not the way the how these things should be done. Like I said before, brightness is related to power. The general equation for power is:
P = IV

Since all of your circuits are series circuits and each bulb has equal resistance. What do you know about voltage and current in a series circuit?

indirectly proportional(?)
But that means currents gets smaller as voltage increase...

Voltage and current are directly proportional (V=IR). What I was asking you is how is the voltage across a bulb related to the current through it? You just need to remember the simple rules of a series circuit.

The question is not that hard. Its just relating several concepts that may cause confusion - power, ohms law, and series circuits.

ok so...back to the top...

assuming that each battery is 9 volt and since all resistor inside of bulbs is same...
current must be same as long as there are same amount of batteries, which tells me that A>B>C.

Now the circuit 3...since there are two batteries, do i simply add 9+9=18 so that D>E?

I have no idea what's keeping me from understanding this simple concept.

D=E > A > B=C...
My final answer :)

Edgardo said:
Have you just solved it intuitively or have you also set up some equations?
And why is A=D=E > B=C?

I am leaning towards on that one now...

1. How do you measure the brightness of a bulb?

To measure the brightness of a bulb, we use a unit called lumens. Lumens measure the total amount of visible light emitted by a light source. The higher the number of lumens, the brighter the bulb.

2. What is the difference between lumens and watts?

Lumens measure the brightness of a bulb, while watts measure the energy consumption of a bulb. In the past, watts were used to determine the brightness of a bulb, but with the advancement of technology, lumens have become a more accurate measure of brightness.

3. How does a simple DC circuit affect the brightness of a bulb?

A simple DC circuit affects the brightness of a bulb by controlling the flow of electricity to the bulb. If the circuit is open or broken, the bulb will not light up. The brightness of the bulb can also be affected by the amount of voltage and current in the circuit.

4. Can the type of bulb affect its brightness in a simple DC circuit?

Yes, the type of bulb can affect its brightness in a simple DC circuit. Different types of bulbs, such as incandescent, fluorescent, and LED, have different levels of efficiency and therefore will produce different levels of brightness for the same amount of energy input.

5. How can you rank the brightness of 5 bulbs in a simple DC circuit?

The brightness of 5 bulbs in a simple DC circuit can be ranked by measuring their lumens and comparing them. The bulb with the highest number of lumens will be the brightest, and the one with the lowest number of lumens will be the least bright. It's important to note that the brightness of a bulb can also be affected by factors such as age and environmental conditions.