Simple Dc Motor Clarrifocation

In summary, the individual is working on a project to build a simple DC motor and is struggling with the instructions provided in the textbook. They are seeking clarification on various aspects of the project, including the rotation of the motor, the use of a pencil, and the winding of the coil. They also mention using wire from an ethernet cable and inquire about using a different type of wire. Another individual offers input and suggests looking for better plans for the motor online.
krogsty
So I have a project over the holidays, received it on Friday, I have to build a simple Dc Motor. Using the textbook as a guide has proven to be very difficult becuase it does not explain itself very clearly, I was hoping some one could provide me with some clarrification. Here are the instructions from the textbook, I apalogize for the poorn quality they are hard to read, my printer never seems to work with this wireless network I have.

untitled2.jpg

materials.jpg

untitled.jpg

procedure2.jpg

Okay So when tis whole thing is done, Does it rotate in complete cirlces, because it doesn't look like it is possible with the wire attached to the solenoid around the pencil.

5, - It says to wrap a double layer of coil around the nail, does this mean wind up to the top then wind back down, (possibly creating 2 opposite polarites at each end of the nail? A bad thing?)

Does it matter that I use a pencil, Can I use a plastic circular coat hanger piece instead?

Do the wires go going form the nail to the solenoid attatch to the wires on the pencil, or where the tape around the coil is?

I have started this, almost done, I'm just not sure if I did it correctly So i need some clarrifcation.

Thank-you for any help

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Since this is more of a project, rather than strictly homework/coursework, I've moved it to the EE forum.

Yeesh, that's a pretty cobbled plan for a DC motor. First, to answer your question about the pencil and coil being able to rotate, that's what the "communtator" is for at the end of the windings -- the two ends of the windings on the pencil are stripped bare and attached to the pencil, so that "wipers" (which I don't see yet in the plans...) can make rubbing contact with them as the pencil turns. The two wipers would alternate the polarity of the current in the pencil coil as it turns, which helps it to keep getting rotational force in the same direction to keep it turning.

The stator windings formed by the two nails also confuses me -- it's not very proximal to the pencil coil, so it won't make much of a field to interact with the pencil coil's wires. The intent is for the current flowing in a nail to generate a B field close to one side of the pencil coil as it is close, which generates a force on those pencil coil wires on that side, to help turn the pencil. I doubt whether the friction can be made low enough at the pencil supports to allow full turning of the pencil coil -- it might turn 45 degrees, but it doesn't look like it will have enough inertia to make it through to the opposite wiping angle.

And for your question about winding the coils on the nails, no, winding up and back down in an overlaid fashion does not cancel out the B field in the nail. As long as all the windings are in the same direction around the nail (like all clockwise as seen from the pointed end of the nail), they will generate field in the same direction in the nail.

There just have to be better plans for a simple DC motor somewhere on the Internet. Maybe do a search to see if you can find something, and then ask the professor if it's okay to substitute the better design...

Here's a wikipedia.org article on DC motors in case that helps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushed_DC_Electric_Motor

Thank-you for moving this thread to somewhere more relevant, and for your input. If I wrap wire around the nail 3 or 4 times instead, will it create a stronger field? I'm using the wie you find inside ethernet cable, Is that sufficient or should I use something else?

krogsty said:
Thank-you for moving this thread to somewhere more relevant, and for your input. If I wrap wire around the nail 3 or 4 times instead, will it create a stronger field? I'm using the wie you find inside ethernet cable, Is that sufficient or should I use something else?

The field you create in the nail is related to the product of the current in the wire multiplied by the number of turns ("amp turns"), so yes, more turns will generally give more field. As for the wire, any single-conductor wire will do. Specialized "magnet wire" which is usually used for real inductors and transformers and motors, has a thinner insulation layer, to allow the turns to be wound more densly. But regular wire (probably around 24AWG like your un-wound Ethernet cable) would be fine.

What is a simple DC motor?

A simple DC motor is a type of electric motor that converts direct current (DC) electrical energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part) connected by a commutator and brushes.

How does a simple DC motor work?

A simple DC motor works by using the principle of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through the stator, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field of the permanent magnets on the rotor, causing it to rotate.

What are the main components of a simple DC motor?

The main components of a simple DC motor include a stator, rotor, commutator, and brushes. The stator is the stationary part of the motor and houses the magnets. The rotor is the rotating part of the motor and contains the armature. The commutator is a rotating switch that helps to reverse the direction of current in the armature, and the brushes make contact with the commutator to transfer the electrical current.

What are the applications of a simple DC motor?

A simple DC motor has a wide range of applications, including powering small household appliances, toys, and tools. It is also commonly used in automotive starter motors, electric vehicles, and industrial machinery.

What are the advantages of a simple DC motor?

The main advantages of a simple DC motor are its simplicity, low cost, and easy control. It also provides a steady and constant torque, making it suitable for many applications. Additionally, it is highly efficient and has a long lifespan with proper maintenance.