1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple DE.

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The growth of bacteria is proportional to the number present but is being reduced at a constant rate for experimentation. Find the equation for N

2. Relevant equations

d(N)/dt = KN-R , N = number of bacteria, K = proportionality const., R = reduction rate.

3. The attempt at a solution

Above was my guess to what the differential equation should look like...it's a separable equation. My question: Is the above formula the right formula based on my understanding of the question? With that equation I can't seem to solve it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2009 #2
    Seems reasonable. Try doing the regular thing, which is to separate t and N to different sides of the equation like this

[tex] \frac{dN}{KN-R} = dt [/tex]

and then integrate. You also need to assume that KN>R. What does this mean?

4. Dec 1, 2009 #3
    I tried that but I just can't seem to get it right. I don't get the same solution as the book. By the way the question is No. 22 of Section 2 in Chapter 8 of Boas' Math Methods for those that have the book.

I integrate those and get,

(1/K)*ln(KN-R) = t + ln(C) , C is the initial number of bacteria...I put in ln(C) for simplification.

5. Dec 1, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, so you have ln(KN- R)= KT+ Kln(C) and from that [itex]KN-R= (Ce^K) e^{KT}[/itex]. [itex]KN= R+ (Ce^K)e^{KT}[/itex] and, finally, [itex]N= R/K+ (Ce^K/K)e^{KT}[/itex]. What is the answer in the book?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  6. Dec 1, 2009 #5
    The answer in the book is,

[itex] N = Ce^{Kt} - (R/K)(e^{Kt}-1) [/itex]

7. Dec 2, 2009 #6
    So, how do you solve the DE?

[tex] \int_{N(t_0)}^{N(t)} \frac{dN}{KN-R} = \int_{t_0}^t dt [/tex]

where t_0 is arbitrary (choose zero)

8. Dec 2, 2009 #7
    Thanks, I just got it. Can you tell me why I needed the limits? The other one before this didn't have the R (reduction) so the equation was just

[tex] N = N_0e^{Kt} [/tex]

When I was solving that I didn't need limits.

9. Dec 2, 2009 #8
    The limits contain the constant of integration in a more transparent way; you don't need to be guessing the correct forms. You could have just as well derived the case R=0 with the limits, probably with less work too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook