1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Deflection of a Cantilever Frame. Please Help.

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the given frame, find the horizontal deflection at the tip of the frame (deflection)C. The frame has a uniform stiffness EI.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5493/83214722.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't actually have anything to show, all I want is a hint in the right direction. I'm fine with solving cantilever beams with a given force applied, but I'm just really stuck with this frame, and how the vertical section of it interacts with the horizontal. I know it will deflect both horiztonally and vertically at C, but yeah, just not sure how to go about it...

A quick hint will hopefully be all I need.

Thanks guys,

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Separate into individual beams.

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

and note that the right angle between the 2 beams remains a right angle when the frame deflects.

5. Nov 12, 2009 #4
    How would I go about splitting it in to 2 beams? If I make AB a simple cantilever beam, what forces/moments would be acting at point B?

6. Nov 12, 2009 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you draw a free body diagram of BC only, what force and moment (couple) acts on AB at joint B?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook