Wavefunction Degeneracy in Spherically Symmetric Infinite Well Potential

• Thread starter Qbit42
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the radial portion of the wavefunction for a particle in a spherically symmetric potential, which is described by spherical Bessel functions. The question is whether the different 'l' values result in degenerate states, and the answer is that if 'l' does not appear in the equation for energy, then all values of 'l' are degenerate.
Qbit42

Homework Statement

The radial portion of the wavefunction of a particle contained in a spherically symmetric infinite well potential (ie U= infinite outside a certain radius "a" and 0 inside the radius) is given by the spherical Bessel functions.

[tex]J_{l}(kr) = (\frac{-r}{k})^{l}(\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr})^{l}\frac{Sin(kr)}{kr}[/tex]

I need to answer various questions for wavefunctions of different l values. One is the degeneracy of the state. For all of the l values in question (0-3) I get energy as a function of only 1 quantum number (n). This means to me that each state is not degenerate. However if none of the states are degenerate then the problem seems kinda simple. So my question is this, Do you consider degeneracy of each individual state by looking at the individual quantum numbers that specifically show up in the energy relation for that state or do I need to account for the l value of the wavefunction somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
If 'l' does not appear in the equation for energy, that means that all of the values of 'l' are degenerate. That's basically the definition of degeneracy.

1. What is simple degeneracy question?

Simple degeneracy question refers to a type of scientific inquiry that involves finding multiple solutions to a problem or question. This can occur when there are multiple variables or factors that can influence the outcome.

2. How is simple degeneracy question different from other types of scientific questions?

Simple degeneracy question is unique because it focuses on finding multiple solutions rather than just one definitive answer. This type of question often requires a more complex and thorough analysis of the data.

3. What are some common examples of simple degeneracy question in science?

Some common examples of simple degeneracy question in science include finding multiple possible pathways for a chemical reaction, determining various factors that can affect the growth of a plant, or identifying different genetic mutations that can lead to a particular disease.

4. How can scientists handle simple degeneracy question in their research?

Scientists can handle simple degeneracy question by using various methods such as statistical analysis, experimental design, and data visualization. They can also collaborate with other experts in the field to gain different perspectives and approaches to the problem.

5. What are the potential benefits of exploring simple degeneracy question in scientific research?

Exploring simple degeneracy question can lead to a deeper understanding of complex systems and phenomena. It can also help scientists develop new theories, methods, and technologies to solve problems more effectively. Additionally, it can foster collaboration and innovation within the scientific community.