Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple density law

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that a spherical body with density
    p (r) =Pc(1−x)
    where x = r/R and R its radius, has a central density pc that is 4 times larger than the mean density (< p > =mass/volume).

2. Relevant equations

not sure

3. The attempt at a solution

im not sure how to start this problem... can someone give me a hit on doing this question. please!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2
    help?plz

4. Sep 26, 2010 #3
    can some1 tell me how to approch this problem ...

5. Sep 26, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you know the density of the object at each point, do you know how to compute its mass?

6. Sep 26, 2010 #5
    nop.

7. Sep 26, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not knowing any relation between the density function and the mass might be the root of your problem. Could you try and look something up?

8. Sep 26, 2010 #7
    sure

9. Sep 26, 2010 #8
    i know that p=m/v and v=(4/3) pi R^2

umm could you post some links b/c im googleing it not much tho

10. Sep 26, 2010 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might be better to check your notes or the textbook. In general you find the mass by doing the triple integral of density*dV. I'll give you a hint that if the density is spherically symmetric then the mass is the integral from 0 to R of density*4*pi*r^2*dr. Does that sound familiar? If you can show that form follows from the density*dV formula by using spherical coordinates, I'll give you extra virtual points.

11. Sep 26, 2010 #10
    let me give it ago and get back

12. Sep 26, 2010 #11
    OMG!!!:surprised thank you soo much... i figured it out! and showed it too..

RESPECT TO YOU :smile:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook