Gold Cube Density Problem: Calculating Side Length for Double Mass

• Thread starter LoveKnowledge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, Density=mass/volume. Knowing that the density of gold is 19.3g/cm^3, and that the cube is twice as massive (38.6 grams), we can find the volume by solving 2 = s^3. The volume is 2cm^3.
LoveKnowledge
1. A 19.3-g mass of gold in the form of a cube is 1 cm long on each side (somewhat smaller than a sugar cube). What would be the length of the sides of a cube having twice this mass of gold?

2. Density=mass/volume

3. I had help from a friend in which resulted with the following result/attempt but I am confused in regards to the foundations of how I solved the problem...I know while dimensions may be squared, weight and volume is cubed but I want to understand the solid foundations of the question...

1.26 cm. V1=1cm^3 which results in m1=19.3 grams, density=m/v=19.3 g/cm^3; m2=2x19.3=38.6 grams (density remains constant of 19.3 g/cm^3); V2=2V1=2 cm^3 resulting in each side from 2^1/3=1.26 cm for each side. It is important to remember than while the surface area proportions are squared, the volume and weight is always cubed."

Physics news on Phys.org
The original information will actually give you the density of gold, which is 19.3g/cm^3. Knowing that the density stays the same, you just need to apply the density formula to find the volume, and then cube root that to find the length of each side.

If D = m/V, then V = m/D. Knowing that the second cube is twice as massive (38.6 grams), we can now apply the formula:

Volume = (38.6g/19.3(g/cm^3))

Not surprisingly, the volume is twice as big (2cm^3).

Since the formula for the volume of a cube is s^3, where s is the length of a side, we merely need to solve 2 = s^3.

So the correct answer would be 1.5 cm rather than the 1.26 cm I provided for each side?

No. If each side is 1.5cm, then the Volume would be (1.5)^3 = 3.375cm^3, not 2cm^3.

The cube root of 2 is actually 1.2599..., which is about 1.26.

K. I understand now. I need to square root it and that is where I was getting confused. I am going to save this so I can review and understand the principle more when I am done with my homework. :) Thanks you again for your help!

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of a substance. It is often expressed in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. How do you calculate density?

Density can be calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. The formula for density is: density = mass/volume.

3. What is the difference between density and specific gravity?

Density and specific gravity are both measures of how tightly packed the molecules in a substance are. However, specific gravity is a ratio of the density of a substance to the density of water, while density is an absolute measure of the mass per unit volume.

4. How does temperature affect density?

In most cases, as temperature increases, the density of a substance decreases. This is because as temperature increases, the molecules in a substance have more kinetic energy and are able to spread out, resulting in a lower density. However, there are some exceptions, such as water, which reaches its maximum density at 4 degrees Celsius.

5. How is density important in everyday life?

Density is important in a variety of everyday applications, such as determining the appropriate amount of medication to take, measuring the concentration of a solution, and selecting materials for construction or manufacturing based on their strength and weight. It is also used in identifying substances and in forensic science to analyze evidence.