Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Derivation has me stumped

1. Jul 22, 2012 #1
    Please click the attached image.

I have no idea how eq 20.10b to eq 20.10c.

Hartle goes from the equation for the arc length to [tex]\sqrt{\frac{R^2}{R^2-x^2}}[/tex]

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2012 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

compute dy/dx and plug into 2.10.b. It leads directly to 2.10c. I certainly couldn't see it by eye - but it is a pretty small calculation.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  4. Jul 22, 2012 #3
    Sorry, I'm not able to read between the line here. What do you mean by compute dy/dx? Compute dy/dx of what?

5. Jul 22, 2012 #4

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have x^2+y^2=R^2. Solve for y and take dy/dx. Plug this into where dy/dx is in 2.10.b. You can then simplify to 2.10.c.

6. Jul 23, 2012 #5
    d(x2 + y2) = 2xdx + 2ydy = dR2 = 0

dy/dx = -x/y

7. Jul 23, 2012 #6
    Oh, alright thanks. ^.^

8. Jul 23, 2012 #7
    One more question, do you know how he got -1, 1 as the limits of integration? It looks as if he pulled that number randomly.

9. Jul 23, 2012 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A change of integration variable was made such that the new integration variable is dimensionless, i.e., [itex]\xi = x/R[/itex].

10. Jul 23, 2012 #9
    Okay, I also don't know how that integral will give you Pi. Something is missing in my knowledge-base.

11. Jul 23, 2012 #10

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That integral should be covered in any first course in calculus; or looked up in even the smallest table of integrals; or recognize that it is the circumference of a unit semi-circle. If you're reading this book, you should have calculus book, and can review integration of trigonometric forms.

12. Jul 23, 2012 #11
    Thank you, I should have realized that. What I also should have done is just evaluated the integral to see that it equals pi.

I suppose I should jump back to classical mechanics, I need to test out of classical mechanics I anyways. I'll come back to this book later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook