1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple derivation of Casimir Force

1. May 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Derive the Casimir Force on each plate, for a two parallel plate system (L x L), separated at a distance of 'a' apart.

The solution was found in en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect#Derivation_of_Casimir_effect_assuming_zeta-regularization. (sorry I couldn't include link yet). Now my question is how did the (2∏)^2 came out in the integral for <E>,

ffb0365edd056bc1efcbf0a26f82c31f.png

I would think it as the constant from fourier transform but I was unable to prove that. Any idea how did that thing pop up of nowhere?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2
    oh this question is moot. It's basically multiplication of the DOS.

Thanks anyway

4. May 23, 2012 #3
    Assume a large hypercubic box in d dimensions of length L. Impose periodic boundary conditions (PBCs) on any function:
    [tex]
    \psi(x_1 + L, x_2, \ldots, x_d) = \psi(x_1, x_2 + L, \ldots, x_d) = \ldots = \psi(x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_d + L)
    [/tex]
    Then, we can expand the function in multidimensional Fourier series:
    [tex]
    \psi(\mathbf{x}) = \sum_{\mathbf{k}}{c_{\mathbf{k}} \, e^{i \mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{x}}}
    [/tex]
    where
    [tex]
    \mathbf{k} = \frac{2\pi}{L} \langle n_1, n_2, \ldots, n_d \rangle
    [/tex]
    is a multidimensional wave vector that can take on discrete values.

In an interval [itex](k_i, k_i + dk_i)[/itex] of the ith component, there are
    [tex]
    dn_i = \frac{L}{2\pi} \, dk_i
    [/tex]
    To find the total number of states within an infinitesimal volume of k space
    [tex]
    dn = \mathrm{\Pi}_{i = 1}^{d}{dn_{i}} = \frac{L^{d}}{(2\pi)^{d}) \, d^{d}k
    [/tex]
    So, the famous factor [itex]L^{d}/(2\pi)^{d}[/itex] gives the density of states in k space.

5. May 24, 2012 #4
    Ah. Yeah Ive forgot about the DOS.
    Thanks for the detailed explaination!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook