1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Derivative Question

1. Mar 15, 2007 #1
    Sorry for not using JavaScript or whatever script is needed, I don't have enough time to figure it out b/c my class is soon... anyways I just need to know know to find the derivative of 3 groups of parentheses

I've tried using the product rule on the first two and then using the rule on the result from that and (x+5) but it's not working. I'm an idiot.. thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2007 #2
    It's a simple extension of the product rule: (uvw)' = u'vw + uv'w + uvw', where u,v and w are functions of x.
  4. Mar 15, 2007 #3
    okay thanks a lot
  5. Mar 15, 2007 #4
    That should work actually.
    If you call the 3 functions u(x), v(x) and w(x) and let y(x) = u(x)v(x), then [y(x)w(x)]' = y'w + yw'. Just replace y = uv and y' = u'v + uv', you get (u'v + uv')w + uvw' = u'vw + uv'w + uvw', which is exactly what neutrino.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?