Derivative Question: Finding Velocity of a Pie in Motion

• Thread starter possum30540
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
You are just using the product rule.In summary, the x coordinate of a pie can be represented by x(t) = (u^2)(t^2) + 3ut, where u is independent of t. The derivatives (dx/dt) and (dx/du) can be calculated using the product rule. To find the x component of the pie's velocity, (dx/dt) should be used.
possum30540

Homework Statement

Suppose the x coordinate of a pie is given as a function of time t by
x(t) = (u^2)(t^2) + 3ut,
where u is independent of t. Calculate (dx/dt) and (dx/du). Also, whihc one of the above derivatives (if either) give you vx, the x component of the pie's velocity?

Homework Equations

Just derivative rules.

The Attempt at a Solution

(dx/dt)= 2(u^2)t + 3u

(dx/du)=2u(t^2) + 3t

Since t represents tiem in this function, to obtain the velocity you must use (dx/dt).

Please let me know if this is correct or if I am missing a step.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why my problem has not been answered yet while others after me have . . I have given you all the required information. Please let me know anything else you may need. Thanks.

No particular reason why one question will be answered and another will not. You cannot, in general, expect a question to be answer in a few minutes or even a few hours. People don't sit around waiting for questions!

It looks to me like you answers are correct.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. In simpler terms, it measures how much a function is changing at a specific point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found by using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule. These are different methods of calculating the derivative based on the type of function given.

3. What is the purpose of finding derivatives?

Finding derivatives is useful in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, economics, and more. It helps us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. It also allows us to optimize functions and solve real-world problems.

4. Can derivatives be negative?

Yes, derivatives can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing at that point. The sign of the derivative can tell us whether a function is increasing or decreasing in a specific interval.

5. Are derivatives and differentials the same thing?

No, derivatives and differentials are not the same thing. A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function, while a differential is an infinitesimal change in a variable. However, they are related and can be used interchangeably in some cases.