Is There a Simpler Way to Calculate Derivatives?

In summary, the author suggests a different way of calculating the derivative that is mathematically equal to the traditional approach. However, as long as it makes the person happy, the traditional way should be used.
cam875
I have been studying calculus for only a few days now since I picked up a book on it, trying to get ahead for next year and it's really starting to sink in now and I decided to write down a different way for calculating the derivative, it isn't revolutionary, i am just wondering if it will be accepted by most people or if they prefer the traditional way. Its exactly the same as the traditional difference quotient but I switched it around because it made more sense this way to me.

[tex]
f\prime(x)=\[ \lim_{x_{1} \to x_{2}} \frac{f(x_{2})-f(x_{1})}{x_{2}-x_{1}}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since it is mathematically exactly equal to the usual approach, use it if it makes you happy.

cam875 said:
I have been studying calculus for only a few days now since I picked up a book on it, trying to get ahead for next year and it's really starting to sink in now and I decided to write down a different way for calculating the derivative, it isn't revolutionary, i am just wondering if it will be accepted by most people or if they prefer the traditional way. Its exactly the same as the traditional difference quotient but I switched it around because it made more sense this way to me.

[tex]
f\prime(x)=\[ \lim_{a \to x} \frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}
[/tex]
normally, a is a constant and x is a variable thus x tends to a not a tending to x, so u can reverse [tex]\{a \to x} [/tex]

what if I made "a" a different variable could that fix it?

cam875 said:
what if I made "a" a different variable could that fix it?

The way you defined it f is a function of x, not a it doesn't matter what you use you can't have a constant approaching a variable because for obvious reasons it just doesn't make sense.

As mathman told you originally, it doesn't matter. You are simply swapping letters.

Now, if you had a problem like "what is the derivative of f(x)= x2 at x= a", "x" and "a" are already given meanings so you cannot be so cavalier about swapping them.

That is, the standard definition would give 2a while your formula would give 2x. They are exactly the same if you remember that you have swapped a and x. In other words, to answer the problem as given you would have to swap back to get 2a.

ok well I meant for "a" to be a variable, didn't realize it was a constant. Anyways I got it cleared up now, thanks guys.

1. What are simple derivatives?

Simple derivatives are mathematical tools used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. They are commonly used in calculus to analyze how a function changes over time or space.

2. How do you find the derivative of a simple function?

To find the derivative of a simple function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule. These rules involve manipulating the function algebraically and taking the limit as the independent variable approaches 0.

3. Why are simple derivatives important in science?

Simple derivatives are important in science because they allow us to model and understand the behavior of complex systems. They are used in many fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to analyze the rate at which variables change and make predictions about future behavior.

4. Can simple derivatives be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, simple derivatives can be used to solve real-world problems. Many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion, can be described and analyzed using simple derivatives.

5. Are there any limitations to using simple derivatives?

While simple derivatives are a powerful tool in mathematics and science, they have some limitations. They can only be applied to functions that are continuous and differentiable, and they may not accurately predict behavior in complex systems with multiple variables and interactions.