General Solution for yy'' = 2y'^2 in Differential Equations

In summary, the general solution to the given ODE is y = \frac{1}{c_1x+c_2}. This solution was obtained through dividing the equation by y(y')^2 and using the substitution u=f(x) to integrate. The equation does not contain x explicitly, so the order can be decreased by making the parametric substitution y' = p.
TheFerruccio

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to the following ODE.

Homework Equations

[tex]yy'' = 2y'^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to approach this, but I get the sense that it must, somehow, be separable. I switched variables around in attempt to figure something out, but I got nowhere. I am clearly not seeing something that should be obvious. I should have been able to solve this thing years ago with no problem.

[tex]\frac{yy''}{y'} = 2y'[/tex]

But, the [tex]y'[/tex] is still on both sides.

I then tried doing the [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] form as it's easier to see.

[tex]\frac{yy''}{\frac{dy}{dx}} = 2\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

I still feel like I am getting nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know you can directly integrate an expression like:

[tex]f(y')y''[/tex]

right? That's just:

[tex]f(y')dy'[/tex]

then integrate.

So what happens if you divide both sides of your DE by [itex]y(y')^2[/itex]? Still not quite right? How about then if you next just multiply both sides by [itex]y'[/itex]. Shouldn't that get differentials on both sides?

jackmell said:
You know you can directly integrate an expression like:

[tex]f(y')y''[/tex]

right? That's just:

[tex]f(y')dy'[/tex]

then integrate.

So what happens if you divide both sides of your DE by [itex]y(y')^2[/itex]? Still not quite right? How about then if you next just multiply both sides by [itex]y'[/itex]. Shouldn't that get differentials on both sides?
I'm confused. How did you get the equation into the [tex]f(y')[/tex] notation?

I'll put it in full notation to better highlight my confusion.

[tex]y\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = 2(\frac{dy}{dx})^2[/tex]

In your notation, if you are integrating with the differential being [tex]dy[/tex], where did the [tex]dx[/tex] term go?

I tried rearranging as you said, and I ended up with:

[tex]y'' = \frac{2y'^2}{y}[/tex]

I don't see anywhere to go from here. Maybe the answer lies in the first part of the post. There is definitely a basic thing that I am not understanding that this problem is highlighting.
Thanks for the help.

I still have not been able to figure this out. It does not seem separable at all to me.

Try a solution of the form:
[tex]
y=x^{n}
[/tex]
then you have an algebraic equation to solve for n. This is as far as I have hot with the problem.

Divide the original equation by yy' to get

[tex]\frac{y''}{y'} = 2\frac{y'}{y}[/tex]

You can integrate both sides of that.

If I put it into that form, I get...

[tex]\int\frac{1}{y'}y'' = 2\int\frac{1}{y}y'[/tex]

Integrating out, I (I think) get:

[tex]\ln(y') + c_1 = 2\ln(y) + c_2[/tex]

Putting that as an exponential, I get:

[tex]e^{\ln(y')+c_1} = e^{2\ln(y) + c_2}[/tex]

This gets me...

[tex]c_1y' = c_2y[/tex]

I *think* I'm still running into some algebra problems. I should be coming up with something in terms of x, though maybe it's just late and I'm missing some more algebra. Sorry about this mess.

TheFerruccio said:
If I put it into that form, I get...

[tex]\int\frac{1}{y'}y'' = 2\int\frac{1}{y}y'[/tex]

Integrating out, I (I think) get:

[tex]\ln(y') + c_1 = 2\ln(y) + c_2[/tex]

That's very good. Combine the constants and obtain:

[tex]\ln y'=\ln y^2+c[/tex]

or:

[tex]\ln\left(\frac{y'}{y^2}\right)=c[/tex]

Take exponents, still an arbitrary constant on the right. Now you can separate variables right?

jackmell said:
That's very good. Combine the constants and obtain:

[tex]\ln y'=\ln y^2+c[/tex]

or:

[tex]\ln\left(\frac{y'}{y^2})=c[/tex]

Take exponents, still an arbitrary constant on the right. Now you can separate variables right?

That would be...

[tex]e^{\ln\frac{y'}{y^2}} = e^{c_1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{y'}{y^2} = c_1[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{dy}{y^2} = \intc_1dx[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{y} = c_1x + c_2[/tex]

I can take out the negative, stick it in the constant.[tex]y = \frac{1}{c_1x+c_2}[/tex]

I *think* that's the answer.

It's easy enough to check. Try plugging it back into the original differential equation and seeing it works.

TheFerruccio said:
I *think* that's the answer.

Hey, remember when we divided by [itex]y(y')^2[/itex] up there? What are the ramifications of this step?

That you're not assuming any stationary points or zeros.

jackmell said:
Hey, remember when we divided by [itex]y(y')^2[/itex] up there? What are the ramifications of this step?

I'm not entirely sure. In fact, that is the step that confuses me the most. I realize what it does algebraically, but I don't see how it was seen that that was what was needed to be done.

It's because you can always integrate something of the form fn(x)f'(x) using the substitution u=f(x):

[tex]\int f^n(x) f'(x)\,dx = \left\{\begin{array}{lr}\frac{f^{n+1}(x)}{n+1}+c & \textrm{ when }n \ne -1 \\ \log|f(x)|+c & \textrm{ when } n = -1 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

By dividing by y'y, you turned both sides of the equation into that form.

Last edited:
The equation does not contain the argument [itex]x[/itex] explicitly. You can decrease the order by making the parametric substitution:

[tex]
p \equiv y'
[/tex]

Then:

[tex]
y'' = \frac{d y'}{d x} = \frac{d y'}{d y} \frac{d y}{d x} = y' \, \frac{d y'}{d y} = p \frac{d p}{d y}
[/tex]

Thanks for the help, everyone. I understand the concepts a little bit better. I think the basic separable differential equations have been the hardest for me, because the algebra involved seems to vary the most.

This question was harder then the usual ones I have seen. Don't be too disheartened.

hunt_mat said:
That you're not assuming any stationary points or zeros.

No. You're assuming [itex]y(y')^2 \ne 0[/itex]. Otherwise y=0 or y'=0 or that y=k is a solution which is obvious by inspection since they're all derivatives in the DE. And in this case, y=k happens to be a particular case of the general solution we found. However, there are DEs which have "singular" solutions which are not a particular case of the general solution and this mechanism, that division thing, is one way to find them.

1. What is a general solution for yy'' = 2y'^2 in Differential Equations?

A general solution for yy'' = 2y'^2 in differential equations is an expression that satisfies the given differential equation. It contains one or more arbitrary constants, which can take on any value, and represents an infinite number of solutions to the equation.

2. How do you solve yy'' = 2y'^2 in Differential Equations?

To solve yy'' = 2y'^2 in differential equations, you can use substitution or integration techniques. First, rewrite the equation as y'' = 2(y')^2. Then, let u = y', and solve the resulting first-order differential equation. Once you have found the general solution for u, you can substitute back in for y' and integrate to find the general solution for yy'' = 2y'^2.

3. Can a particular solution be found for yy'' = 2y'^2 in Differential Equations?

A particular solution for yy'' = 2y'^2 in differential equations can be found if initial conditions are given. These conditions specify the values of y and y' at a certain point, allowing you to solve for the arbitrary constants in the general solution and obtain a unique solution to the equation.

4. What are some real-world applications of yy'' = 2y'^2 in Differential Equations?

Some real-world applications of yy'' = 2y'^2 in differential equations include modeling of motion in a vacuum, such as the path of a projectile under the influence of gravity, and describing the behavior of certain physical systems, such as a mass on a spring. It can also be used in economics to model the relationship between a company's revenue and production costs.

5. How does the graph of yy'' = 2y'^2 look like in Differential Equations?

The graph of yy'' = 2y'^2 in differential equations will depend on the specific values of the arbitrary constants in the general solution. However, in general, the graph will be a curve that is concave up and increasing, with a slope that approaches infinity as y approaches infinity. It may also have points of inflection and critical points where the slope is zero.