Integrating Functions with Variables: Solving Differential Equations

In summary, to solve for f(x) in the equation f'(x)= x+1-yx-y, you can integrate both sides to get f(x) = x^2/2 + x -integral(yx) - integral(y) +c. However, if there is a y present in the function, you can manipulate the equation and solve it as a separable ODE.
CalculusHelp1

Homework Statement

f'(x)= x+1-yx-y

Solve for f(x)

Homework Equations

definitions of integrals and derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I integrated both sides.

This gives f(x) = x^2/2 + x -integral(yx) - integral(y) +c

The problem I'm having is how do you integrate when there is a y in the function? I'm guessing this has something to do with the definition, i.e. f(x)=y=integral(f'(x)), I'm just not sure how to manipulate the equation. Does anyone know the trick to this?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you've got the equation y'=x+1-yx-y. This is a separable ODE, you can write it as y'=(x+1)-y(x+1). Thus y'/(1-y)=x+1.
Can you solve it now?

Thanks again micromass

micromass said:
So you've got the equation y'=x+1-yx-y. This is a separable ODE, you can write it as y'=(x+1)-y(x+1). Thus y'/(1-y)=x+1.
Can you solve it now?

ummm but he stated f(x), not a function of y. Unless I'm mistaken

Sorry i was given dy/dx and was asked to solve for y, i just replaced with with f(x) and dy/dx with f'(x). The solution was to separate the variables, I forgot all about it.

1. What is a simple differential equation?

A simple differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the rate of change of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. It involves an unknown function and its derivatives, and can be solved to find the behavior of the function over time.

2. What is the difference between a simple and a complex differential equation?

A simple differential equation involves only one independent variable and one unknown function, while a complex differential equation involves multiple independent variables and/or multiple unknown functions. Simple differential equations can typically be solved analytically, while complex ones often require numerical methods.

3. What are some real-life applications of simple differential equations?

Simple differential equations are used to model a wide range of phenomena in science and engineering, including population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in fields such as economics, biology, and physics to describe the behavior of various systems and processes.

4. How do you solve a simple differential equation?

The solution to a simple differential equation involves finding the unknown function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor. Initial conditions may also need to be provided in order to find a specific solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using simple differential equations?

While simple differential equations can accurately model many real-world situations, they do have their limitations. They may not be able to account for all variables and factors that affect a system, and they may not provide an exact solution in some cases. Additionally, some systems may require more complex differential equations to accurately describe their behavior.