1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Differential problem

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1
    Given that [tex] \frac{dx}{dy} = (\frac{dy}{dx})^{-1}\\ [/tex], differentiate throughout with respect to x and show that [tex] \frac{d^2x}{dy^2} = \frac{- \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}}{(\frac{dy}{dx})^3}\\[/tex].

An attempt: [tex] \frac{d^2 x}{dx dy} = \frac{d (\frac{dy}{dx})^{-1}}{dx} \\ [/tex].

I need help to get me started. Thanks for the help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2007 #2
    Sorry, I am not familar with differentials.

Let [tex]f:(a,b)\to \mathbb{R}[/tex] be a one-to-one differentiable function. Since differentiable functions are continous it means [tex]f[/tex] is an increasing function or decreasing function. Also it has an inverse function [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] which we shall write as [tex]g[/tex] for convienace.

Thus, [tex]g(f(x))=x[/tex] by definition of inverse function. Since [tex]f[/tex] is differentiable on [tex](a,b)[/tex] it follows from a inverse derivative theorem that [tex]g[/tex] is differentiable on [tex]\mbox{Im}(f)[/tex]. And so [tex]g(f(x))[/tex] is differentiable on [tex](a,b)[/tex]. Thus, by the chain rule we have upon differentiating both sides, [tex]f'(x)g'(f(x))=1[/tex]. Now since [tex]f(x)[/tex] is a strict monotonic function as explained above it means [tex]f'(x)>0 \mbox{ or }f'(x)<0 \mbox{ on }(a,b)[/tex]. The important point is that [tex]f'(x)\not = 0[/tex] at any point on [tex](a,b)[/tex]. Thus, we have that [tex]g'(f(x))=\frac{1}{f'(x)}[/tex]. Now we cannot continue to go further without knowing that [tex]f[/tex] is twice differentiable. Assume that it is then by the chain rule again we have, [tex]f'(x)g''(f(x)) = \frac{-f''(x)}{[f'(x)]^2}[/tex]. Since [tex]f'(x)\not = 0[/tex] as explained we finally arive at, [tex]g''(f(x)) = \frac{-f''(x)}{[f'(x)]^3}[/tex].

Now in differential notation this means, I believe,
    [tex]\frac{d^2 x}{dy^2} = -\frac{\frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}}{\left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right)^3}[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?