1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple diffraction

1. Aug 8, 2005 #1
    Hello, I've recently been studying simple diffraction for an upcoming proficiency test, and in the lecture notes for the class, a simple equation regarding single-slit Fraunhoffer diffraction was derived. The derivation was a little weird, so as an exercise, I just decided to go ahead and use phasors to derive the formula myself. Anyway, when I was finished, I nearly had the exact same result as the notes, except for one thing: a factor of a, the width of the slit. Because I couldn't find my mistake anywhere, I decided to look up the result on Wikipedia, which I suspected would do it the same way that I did. Anyway, in the step where the factor of a in the denominator was introduced, there seems to be an integration error. Am I just missing something here?

[tex]= C \int_{-\frac{a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}}e^\frac{ikxx^\prime}{z} \,dx^\prime
    =C \frac{\left(e^\frac{ikax}{2z} - e^\frac{-ikax}{2z}\right)}{\frac{2ikax}{2z}}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2005 #2
    where do you think there is a mistake ?

marlon

4. Aug 8, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks to me like they snuck in that factor of a in the denominator where it doesn't belong.

5. Aug 8, 2005 #4
    you are right Doc Al

i did not even see that...i must be getting delirious again

marlon

6. Aug 8, 2005 #5

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

In my notes, the LHS should be;

[tex]C \int_{-\frac{a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}}e^{ikxsin\theta} dx[/tex]

Which is just a Fourier integral ([itex] u = xsin\theta [/itex] is the conjugate variable), whereby the correct result is the sinc function given.

It would appear that you should be integrating with respect to x rather than x-prime.

Claude.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook