1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Diode Problem

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the parameters of a piecewise linear model of a diode with the following known values:

v_d = 0.7V
    i_D = 1mA
    n = 2.

Make your model fit at 1mA.

2. Relevant equations

They are in the image below, written there.

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's my attempt. I drew out the piecewise linear equivalent, which can be seen to the right of the equal sign. The eq. that I need are on the far left top, and I start putting values in.

I also assumed the saturation current was 10^-11. That's another question I had, they never specified it, so should I assume that 10^-11 is it? It seems that the other ex. in this book uses that value, so...

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2
    You found the correct value for [tex]r_{d}[/tex] but then you used the value 0.921 for [tex]V_{d}[/tex] when you are told that the value of [tex]V_{d}[/tex] is 0.7. In this problem you are given the value of the forward voltage (Vd = 0.7) at a specific forward current (Id = 1mA) so you don't need to assume any value for Is, because it's value results from the equation [tex]I_{d} = I_{s}e^{\frac{V_{d}}{nV_{T}}}[/tex] where you know both [tex]I_{d}[/tex] and [tex]V_{d}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?