Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Diode Problem

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the parameters of a piecewise linear model of a diode with the following known values:

v_d = 0.7V
    i_D = 1mA
    n = 2.

Make your model fit at 1mA.

2. Relevant equations

They are in the image below, written there.

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's my attempt. I drew out the piecewise linear equivalent, which can be seen to the right of the equal sign. The eq. that I need are on the far left top, and I start putting values in.

I also assumed the saturation current was 10^-11. That's another question I had, they never specified it, so should I assume that 10^-11 is it? It seems that the other ex. in this book uses that value, so...

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/1165/untitledkp4.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2
    You found the correct value for [tex]r_{d}[/tex] but then you used the value 0.921 for [tex]V_{d}[/tex] when you are told that the value of [tex]V_{d}[/tex] is 0.7. In this problem you are given the value of the forward voltage (Vd = 0.7) at a specific forward current (Id = 1mA) so you don't need to assume any value for Is, because it's value results from the equation [tex]I_{d} = I_{s}e^{\frac{V_{d}}{nV_{T}}}[/tex] where you know both [tex]I_{d}[/tex] and [tex]V_{d}[/tex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook